Anyone have a write up on Rocker Arm replacement?

TRUBBS

Reaction score
looking at buying a 6.4 with 112k on it, has the "tick" "knock" that leads me to think it needs rockers, ford mechanic confirmed & he also agrees it needs rockers.
dont want to lift the cab yet if i buy it as I only want to do it once when i buy a truck and still need a few more parts before im ready.

so looking at how hard/easy this job would be to do?

also looking to see about how much id be into the rocker assy's complete for both sides? (i sent sunrise a PM already)

thanks!

DWhite

Reaction score
I believe there is a write up to do headstuds with the cab on so it will be a close write up for doing rockers.

I personally would think it would be easier and faster to pull the cab. If you don't have ways to lift the cab then you can follow the write up. For some reason I'm thinking Mike @ No limit did the cab on stud job I'm not real sure so don't hold me to it..

I bought the rockers for $200 per set. So around $400 for both sides.

TRUBBS

Reaction score
I believe there is a write up to do headstuds with the cab on so it will be a close write up for doing rockers.

I personally would think it would be easier and faster to pull the cab. If you don't have ways to lift the cab then you can follow the write up. For some reason I'm thinking Mike @ No limit did the cab on stud job I'm not real sure so don't hold me to it..

I bought the rockers for $200 per set. So around $400 for both sides.

hmm the ford tech im buddies with said he never pulls the cab for rockers and said its actually not to bad of a job at all?
granted hes done tons of them but still...

DWhite

Reaction score
When we did mine I felt it was easier and had more room to move around and work.
If he said it isn't that bad I'd go with him since he does a lot of them. He probably knows shortcuts and easy tips to do it.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
I'm probably going to for get something but heres a quick run down.

Drivers side, drain some coolant(enough to remove the degas bottle) disconnect the battery, remove it with the tray and degas bottle, remove the vgt controller, fuel cooler, bracket, glow plug harness, unplug the ebp sensor, unbolt the dipstick, and valve cover. Now remove the injector lines and fuel rail(if your going to re-use your lines keep them with their respective injector) Now unbolt your rocker assembly. Re-install in reverse order. Find the proper torque sequence for the rockers and ESPECIALLY the injector lines( if you don't they can leak and then its bye bye motor)
Passenger side, remove the air intake, ccv, and unplug the glow plug harness, relay, and egt sensor(passenger side way in the back) Now becareful but unhook your heater hose from the piece of sh!t plastic line that runs along the top of the valve cover(its brittle and easy to break, but if you do mike has the solution for that!) un bolt your ground and bracket for the glow plug relay and move the wiring harness out of your way. Rempve the valvecover. Now unhook your injector lines and whatnot just like on the drivers side.

webb06

Reaction score
hmm the ford tech im buddies with said he never pulls the cab for rockers and said its actually not to bad of a job at all?

granted hes done tons of them but still...

It would be no different that replacing injectors or doing anything the valve covers. Hardest part is getting to the valve covers to get them off. Passenger side is pretty simple. Drivers side requires the coolant tank to come out and the u shaped turbo pipe. Other than that it's pretty straight forward.

pog

Reaction score
It would be no different that replacing injectors or doing anything the valve covers. Hardest part is getting to the valve covers to get them off. Passenger side is pretty simple. Drivers side requires the coolant tank to come out and the u shaped turbo pipe. Other than that it's pretty straight forward.

the joys of a single turbo, driver side valve cover comes off in about ten minutes lol.

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
If you pull the cab to replace rockers that means you would pull the cab to do injectors. Which is ridiculous.

No I would not pull the cab.

TRUBBS

Reaction score
If you pull the cab to replace rockers that means you would pull the cab to do injectors. Which is ridiculous.

No I would not pull the cab.

thats kinda what i was thinking.

well i bought it, going to swing by ford tomorrow and hope they have rockers in stock as sunrise is back-ordered tell march

Motostroker

Reaction score
thats kinda what i was thinking.

well i bought it, going to swing by ford tomorrow and hope they have rockers in stock as sunrise is back-ordered tell march

That's weird. My dealer has them in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Hit up Jared at rcd. When i was looking for a set sunrise was on back order he had several sets and had them to me in 2 or 3 days. . Also when you order them make sure you get extra clips. They like to break during shipping.

AllGo'N'Show

Reaction score
Can't find the thread (hopefully not deleted as that wouldn't be a good sign) for Elite's rockers for 6.4, need more interest shown in product so they continue on and finish them up!

TRUBBS

Reaction score
Hit up Jared at rcd. When i was looking for a set sunrise was on back order he had several sets and had them to me in 2 or 3 days. . Also when you order them make sure you get extra clips. They like to break during shipping.

wish i would have seen this before i went to ford today, theyre on back order also tell the 28th but i paid and ordered them anyways. oh well guess ill do the dpf delete this weekend instead.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Can't find the thread (hopefully not deleted as that wouldn't be a good sign) for Elite's rockers for 6.4, need more interest shown in product so they continue on and finish them up!
I looked too and couldn't find it. I can't even find elite anywhere. What the hell happened?

AllGo'N'Show

Reaction score
I looked too and couldn't find it. I can't even find elite anywhere. What the hell happened?

Uh oh.............

Yup your not blind, I don't see them either, something must have happened or maybe they didn't renew. I'll send them an email see if we get an answer, if not I guess we go back to Ford, boo.

Last edited:

me2

Reaction score
How do you know when the rockers need replacing ? My truck is approaching 200K.

Latest posts

Members online