Anyone on here ever seen 6.0 injector cups crack?

ghohouston

Reaction score
I've got a truck sitting at a coworkers house pushing fuel into the coolant. Last weekend I pulled the injectors and pressured the coolant system up, looked like one cup slightly bubbled coolant out. I personally have only replaced one 6.0 cup, but have done my share of 7.3 cups. My online research tells me it usually ends up being a cracked head? I told this guy like 6 months ago it could be cups or cracked head (s) with 6 0's being so notorious for head cracks. What do yall think the odds are its actually just cups and not cracked hesd (s)? He wants me to replace all 8 cups tomorrow, already has cups and new injector o rings.

Gary

Reaction score
Well if you have everything just replace the one you see leaking and retest it, then you don't have much to loose. I don't think I wouldn't replace all of them. The 6.0's have steel cups, not like the brass 7.3's. I had one 6.0 last year pushing fuel into the cooling system and after talking to a couple of other guys I decided to replace the engine, (the engine had over 10,000 hours on it). I had already bought the cups and tools then figured it's not worth the trouble if the head are busted 99% of the time.
I'd tell the guy his prognosis is not good for just having a bad cup. So if your getting paid for that job I wouldn't guarantee it.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Well, like I said, I told him a while back the heads could be cracked, or it could be cups. He is a cheap s.o.b. and wants to try the cheapest possible route first. I know that's not the proper way to go about these issues, but its his truck and his money.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
if it fails, will it ruin the work relationship? The statistical odds are bad heads but I understand what you're saying. I know people like that, then the get even more made when the cheapy fix fails.

Good luck man.

Gary

Reaction score
I'd just do one cup then, don't waste your time doing the rest when the heads are more than likely busted.

Latest posts

Members online