anyone thought of running ball bearing?

6.0dirtworker

Reaction score
So what creates more lag in a jb? The more oil it requires is slugging down the shaft? Or the added weight from the thrust bearing, making it have more radial load? I'm trying to understand this better.

Watch out on rebuilding them too, basically the same price as buying a new one. Manufacturers make tools to pack the bearings in which apparently is a real bich and a half, still not understanding how it's thousands to repair. They even make triple ball bearing. But I've read they're about the same as dual. Dz's post about his 76 just showed me a lot.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
So what creates more lag in a jb? The more oil it requires is slugging down the shaft? Or the added weight from the thrust bearing, making it have more radial load? I'm trying to understand this better.

Watch out on rebuilding them too, basically the same price as buying a new one. Manufacturers make tools to pack the bearings in which apparently is a real bich and a half, still not understanding how it's thousands to repair. They even make triple ball bearing. But I've read they're about the same as dual. Dz's post about his 76 just showed me a lot.

less frictional load, hard to explain, but think of a skateboard wheel how free it spins, i cant think of anything to compare it too, but its way different, if you spin a ball bearing turbo by hand it takes forever for it to come to a stop.

Have you ever spun a turbo with cold oil in it, then spun the same turbo with warm oil? Way different in how they turn, basically a ball bearing doesnt have this effect when its cold because its not relying on an oil film to keep the friction down, when i would drive my truck on a ball bearing with cold oil it spooled almost just like it was warm, journal bearing you KNOW when the oil is cold.

Its hard to put into terms that can be understood, ill try to think of a better way to put it

6.0dirtworker

Reaction score
Your good it makes sense to me. Still a little confused on the film, a journal needs it and a bb doesn't have that film of oil at all it just rests naturally?

I used to bomb hills on my skateboard with bones ceramic bearings and I would roll for an eternity haha

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Your good it makes sense to me. Still a little confused on the film, a journal needs it and a bb doesn't have that film of oil at all it just rests naturally?

I used to bomb hills on my skateboard with bones ceramic bearings and I would roll for an eternity haha

Bb still requires oil.film but only a fraction of the same oil ia needed which is why most bb chargers come with a restrictor for the inlet. Too much oil causes too much drag too..
Again hard to explain. Generally roller bearings only require oil 1/3 to 1/2 the height of the bearing... splash lubrication compared to.submerged. journal bearing turbos rely heavily on quality oil.film.

6.0dirtworker

Reaction score
Thanks for that, finally getting somewhere lol. That's what I was assuming, was all the oil has to make drag. And I'm sure that 6 orifice thrust washer helps disperse oil a lot easier to where it's needed in the turbo unlike the 3 orifice. I was thinking since 270* is only 3 holes it would need more oil pushed through the cartridge to compensate for all the proper oiling

MorganY

Reaction score
I'm going to bump this because I'm going to move to a ball bearing possibly. I recently grenaded my 64/71/.70 before 2000 miles and after Super08Dutys bullseye went prematurely..I will be moving to precision

I have been looking at a PT6266 BB

Specs are 62/66/(.83 I think) Ball bearing T3 3" Vband discharge. What do you guys think? Should spool nicely, better than the 64. I will most likely be pairing this with my compound setup in June.

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
If you are going to compound it and you are looking for spool up I would do the 62 turbine. Also keep in mind precisions are not internal gated, not sure if your BW was. If your gonna run a single for awhile you could do a 64 also. They don't advertise the 64 but that's an option.

smokinstroker

Reaction score
tadd, would the 62 or 64/66 hold up with 205s for a while as a single?

hopefully the t4 .80~ housing will spool?

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I feel like any precision turbo is going to need an external gate, a 62mm turbine is going to bring crazy back pressure, the 66 turbine will prolly have higher bp too.

those billet precisions are pretty slick turbos.

smokinstroker

Reaction score
why would any precision need a gate?
its not a 62 turbine, thats the compressor wheel. it would be a 66 turbine with a .80~ exhaust housing, should have bad BP at all.

a 64/71/.70 doesn't have bad BP and thats a smaller housing than whats being considered.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
If you are going to compound it and you are looking for spool up I would do the 62 turbine. Also keep in mind precisions are not internal gated, not sure if your BW was. If your gonna run a single for awhile you could do a 64 also. They don't advertise the 64 but that's an option.

but the.83 housing should help a little.

MorganY

Reaction score
Thanks Tadd for the reply, I called in today and spoke to JD, he said he'd call me back with some answers. I have been working with Colton and his bullseye issues as well, pulled his turbo off tonight.

If precision has a 64 compressor wheel with some sort of a ball bearing setup I would definitely go that route. Tadd I will call in tomorrow again, thanks.

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
I can tell you that a bullsye 75/87/1.0 spools alot quicker than a gtx4202 and makes a ton more power

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
on planet earth matt...i have the truck sitting here ill take videos of both....i dont even bother pushing any turbos they prove there self what works and what doesnt

both trucks on same dyno same day and same tuner

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online