Asheville 6.4 Crate Motor

ja_cain

Reaction score
Anyone familiar with these guys? Friend looking at a truck with one in it. Appreciate any info provided.
dca15d64e69ac64c69014b2940dca120.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

J98

Reaction score
Not sure on ashville but anyone claiming to have "stacked" tuners on a six four I would stay clear of.

6_Riders

Reaction score
Asheville makes a good engine. Look them up. You can always unstack the tuners, but you'll need tunes for that to run right. A stage 2 is a hot motor.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

ja_cain

Reaction score
Asheville makes a good engine. Look them up. You can always unstack the tuners, but you'll need tunes for that to run right. A stage 2 is a hot motor.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk
The big thing I see from researching these is crank walk and rocker arms? Are there any upgrades to the thrust bearing setup to keep this from happening, or is it just proper machining work and assembly that's key?

ja_cain

Reaction score
Not sure on ashville but anyone claiming to have "stacked" tuners on a six four I would stay clear of.
Stack, stacks with stacks. Lol

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score
Asheville definitely has a great engine program. Wouldn't be scared of that at all. Crank walk is not really an issue with these trucks, that's more of a 6.7 thing in high horsepower applications.

The biggest issues are the pistons cracking but if he already has the Asheville setup with the ceramic coated pistons that problem should be resolved. The Rocker Arms are definitely a weak point but pretty cheap to replace with stock or if you wanted to go with something better you'd be looking at 3000-3500 for something like the Harland Sharp Rocker Arms with Pushrods and HD Lifters. There are Solid Lifter options as well but adds another good chunk of change.

Most people just replace with stock ones but I've had a few people do the good stuff on race truck applications and things of that nature.

I would definitely be a little worried about the tuning situation. Anyone that uses that terminology on a 6.4 has no idea what he's talking about. But what that probably means is someone set everything up for him and he's never touched it. Take that for what it's worth..

Good luck lol

ja_cain

Reaction score
Asheville definitely has a great engine program. Wouldn't be scared of that at all. Crank walk is not really an issue with these trucks, that's more of a 6.7 thing in high horsepower applications.

The biggest issues are the pistons cracking but if he already has the Asheville setup with the ceramic coated pistons that problem should be resolved. The Rocker Arms are definitely a weak point but pretty cheap to replace with stock or if you wanted to go with something better you'd be looking at 3000-3500 for something like the Harland Sharp Rocker Arms with Pushrods and HD Lifters. There are Solid Lifter options as well but adds another good chunk of change.

Most people just replace with stock ones but I've had a few people do the good stuff on race truck applications and things of that nature.

I would definitely be a little worried about the tuning situation. Anyone that uses that terminology on a 6.4 has no idea what he's talking about. But what that probably means is someone set everything up for him and he's never touched it. Take that for what it's worth..

Good luck lol
Thanks a million for all of that. I'll pass it on to my friend. First thing I asked him about when he mentioned it was delipped pistons. Once I saw that and ceramic coating I felt a little but better. That's cool Harland Shop makes rockets. I definitely know that can be an issue for sure. I here you about the tuner thing. Some people just have more money than real knowledge/sense about these things. I guess they here that crap from the Dodge VP44 guys and think it's cool to say stuff like that. Idk.

ja_cain

Reaction score
So it looks like she needs a head gasket. Not sure how a stage two motor lifts a head with stock turbos, but I'm not familiar with this platform. Sounds like some other shenanigans going on. Not sure if these motors come with fire rings. He said something about that, bit he might have just been mentioning it when he goes to replace the head gasket.

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score
Whoever put the engine in it probably did a short block. If that's the case, it probably has stock heads on it and could even have factory bolts in it still so it would make sense for it to lift the head. If it needs a head gasket just tell him to go ahead and get the KDD O-ringed cylinder heads and make sure it's got ARP Studs going back together.

Honestly sounds like this thing will end up being a money pit just like every 6.4 but if he can get it for a good price everything is fixable with the right parts. If it's for sure got the pistons taken care of that's a big deal for sure but I'd be worried about it even having that at this point.

If he does end up getting it I'd be glad to help with any parts that are needed and whatever advice I can help with, my email and contact info is in my signature. :thumbup:

ja_cain

Reaction score
Whoever put the engine in it probably did a short block. If that's the case, it probably has stock heads on it and could even have factory bolts in it still so it would make sense for it to lift the head. If it needs a head gasket just tell him to go ahead and get the KDD O-ringed cylinder heads and make sure it's got ARP Studs going back together.

Honestly sounds like this thing will end up being a money pit just like every 6.4 but if he can get it for a good price everything is fixable with the right parts. If it's for sure got the pistons taken care of that's a big deal for sure but I'd be worried about it even having that at this point.

If he does end up getting it I'd be glad to help with any parts that are needed and whatever advice I can help with, my email and contact info is in my signature.
Again, I appreciate it. I'll ask him if it was a short block or longblock from Ashland. He said it was studded, so it at least had that upgrade. I'll let him know about those heads too. Will also pass along your contact info.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Again, I appreciate it. I'll ask him if it was a short block or longblock from Ashland. He said it was studded, so it at least had that upgrade. I'll let him know about those heads too. Will also pass along your contact info.

Yep. Listen to bft. Lol..

Bone stock 6.4s can lift heads fyi... needs way more head bolts to hold it down.

live life full throttle

ja_cain

Reaction score
Yep. Listen to bft. Lol..

Bone stock 6.4s can lift heads fyi... needs way more head bolts to hold it down.

live life full throttle
Definitely has studs. Just realized he works for Rudy's. Good stuff.

Wizbangdoodle

Reaction score
When I tore down my '08, I found that the thrust bearings were completely disconnected/worn through from the crank bearing. My theory was, the torque converter would balloon, pushing on the crank, causing it to "walk" and prematurely wear the thrust bearings. I think an aftermarket TC can take care of this problem.

So, yes, crank walk is a thing with a 6.4.

Strokersace

Reaction score
Definitely has studs. Just realized he works for Rudy's. Good stuff.

Who works for Rudy’s? Your friend or the guy trying to sell this turd?!?

Stacked tuners, wicked wheels, and describing the injectors by hp would be HUGE red flags. Enough that I’d stay away from that 6.4!!! Couple that with it supposedly being studded but needing HG or even new heads, that either means the block is cracked from over tightening on the 2 upper studs with less block material around them, OR it was abused. Most likely both.

I’d stay far away from it unless he’s getting it for next to nothing, then doesn’t mind spending thousands to rebuild it...

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score

Stacked tuners, wicked wheels, and describing the injectors by hp would be HUGE red flags. Enough that I’d stay away from that 6.4!!! Couple that with it supposedly being studded but needing HG or even new heads, that either means the block is cracked from over tightening on the 2 upper studs with less block material around them, OR it was abused. Most likely both.

I’d stay far away from it unless he’s getting it for next to nothing, then doesn’t mind spending thousands to rebuild it...

He was referring to me working for Rudy's haha. And that last sentence is pretty much what it would come down to for me. It's going to be a money pit and need a good bit of parts to be sure everything is 100% so I'd only get this thing if it were a very good price.

ja_cain

Reaction score

I know all of the usual red flags, like the things mentioned. Most likely some pipeliner who doesn't know any better selling the truck. It's a young man that clearing my property that's thinking about buying it. I think he can get it for 6k. I thought the same thing about the head studs and blown gasket with stock turbos. I can find out who built the injectors when I have a chance. Lol

ja_cain

Reaction score
He was referring to me working for Rudy's haha. And that last sentence is pretty much what it would come down to for me. It's going to be a money pit and need a good bit of parts to be sure everything is 100% so I'd only get this thing if it were a very good price.
Lol! I tried to steer him away as soon. As he said 6.4 and blown head gasket. I think he can get it for $6000.

co04cobra

Reaction score
Does he have paperwork with what actually was done to the engine? That would help knowing what you could possible expect to find once the heads are removed.

But you need to make sure the kid under stands that he will, not might, he will spend, 10-15K to get it right.

Latest posts

Members online