At a cross road

pilot4life

Reaction score
I have an 02 SD. I have done the intake/exhaust/Chip/BTS trans already. I don't know if I should:
A. Proceed forward with doing the 238/80 injectors and a 38R and fuel system detune it for a bit
B. Throw a forged rod in it set it at 450-500HP so I can still tow.
C. Part it back to stock and buy a 6.7.

I only have 86,000 on it now and knowing its a PMR how involved it would be to get rods in it? Or if its worth the trouble and expense. Wife gave me the thumbs up to do what I thought is best...I'm on the fence. Help me decide.

Stroker#66

Reaction score
Well it would be a lot easier to just find a forged rod engine than putting rods in yours. And also you will have a lot less money in it compared to buying a 6.7

pilot4life

Reaction score
I wouldnt buy the 6.7 new so that would take some of the ow factor out. But with the truck sold for 20k, 20k in add ons sold for 10k, plus the next upgrade I would be around the 40k mark I think.

I guess its more thinking out loud and all yall are the voices in my head.:toast:

What could you expect to pay for a forged rod motor used or mine rebuilt? I am slightly hesitant about buying the used motor as I don't want an engine with more miles on it than I already have.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
I wouldnt buy the 6.7 new so that would take some of the ow factor out. But with the truck sold for 20k, 20k in add ons sold for 10k, plus the next upgrade I would be around the 40k mark I think.

I guess its more thinking out loud and all yall are the voices in my head.:toast:

What could you expect to pay for a forged rod motor used or mine rebuilt? I am slightly hesitant about buying the used motor as I don't want an engine with more miles on it than I already have.

Pull your motor... find a set of rods and have them checked out.

new main and rod bearings and slap it back together. Pretty simple and you can usually find a set of forged rods for around $100

02BigD

Reaction score
I have an 02 SD. I have done the intake/exhaust/Chip/BTS trans already. I don't know if I should:
A. Proceed forward with doing the 238/80 injectors and a 38R and fuel system detune it for a bit

I only have 86,000 on it now and knowing its a PMR how involved it would be to get rods in it? Or if its worth the trouble and expense. Wife gave me the thumbs up to do what I thought is best...I'm on the fence. Help me decide.

If you are looking for nice performance, with little maintenance, option A is going to be great bang for your buck. Especially considering how low mileage your motor is.

Terry_7.3

Reaction score

I was in the same boat as you.(pmr's here) I went ahead and just went with the injectors knowing i can easily get my hands on forged rod motor if need be. But I feel pretty comfortable with my custom tuning from php. And all I can say is WOW what a fun truck to drive now!

David N

Reaction score
I know every truck is different, but I have been running my setup on a PMR motor for over a year and a half. And my truck is literally abused. It never comes off the highest chip setting, and it sees WOT at least 5 times a day.

With that being said, with the right tuner, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
Just keep the pmr's. Bill at php was a pretty firm believer that he could tune a pmr block and have it hold up at 600hp when I was down there.

Petro

Reaction score
Run your pmrs. My buddy is running the same set up on his 02 motor with almost 200k on it. I believe I installed the injectors for him almost a year ago now and he hasn't had any problems and he beats the living **** out of it and does almost no maintenance because he isn't very intelligent. Matt tuned it and it runs great. The setup is 238 100s, a 38r, Fuel system, T500 hpop and a built trans.

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
I had 250s and a 366 on pmrs, and it was ran HARD it got raced probably 4-5 times a week and has seen close to 100 boosted launches. I would have pushed it even further but I needed a tc and i found a good deal on a forged motor, so i figured while i was that deep id drop the motor in. Id run option a, get a good tuner that can keep pmrs in place and run it.

Fat fingered from my phone.

mandkole

Reaction score
absolutely-- if that 86K truck is as nice as it should be, I'll take it with the PMRs all day long. You got good investment into it-- get some good tunes, baby the rods and keep going...

Whytry

Reaction score
I would go with A also and just because you have a forged motor doesnt mean it is built proof at that level I have seen forged rod motors blow with nothing done to them. I would get the injectors and wouldn't think twice. Also tuning has come so far you will be fine i think with pmrs

pilot4life

Reaction score
Alright seems like option A for me then. 238/80's, fuel system, and a 38R it is. Just want a little more oomph better towing and my leaking up pipes fixed.

Thanks y'all.

PS any difference on tuning between the 238/80's and 238/100's?

Reaction score
I would go with option A, just make sure to keep the tuning safe. Have it live tuned if you can. You should be able to get around 450-470hp while keeping the tuning safe on that setup. Maybe a fuzz more, who knows.. Seems to me that if you want much over 500hp, your going to put rods in it whether it's a PMR 7.3 or a 6.7 either way.. Just keep the 7.3 and drop less coin in the long run, especially if the truck is as nice as it should be with 80k miles.

pilot4life

Reaction score
Truck is in great shape. Well taken care of. Blackstone reports say internals are happy and have been for some time. Thanks for the input!

Latest posts

Members online