Baby romp when hot

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Ever since I put the motor back in on Jan 2014, I get a baby romp when the motor gets to operating temp. I pulled the motor to do replace the oil pan. Since I had the motor out, I did the engine mods in my sig.

When I had the oil pan off, I checked the oil pick up tube for cracks; there were none and I left it alone.

When I first start the motor, it runs smooth and purrs. When it comes up to operating temp, then it has a baby romp. The rpms are solid. Pull power, no smoke, starts right up, no codes.

I've replaced CPS, IPR, ICP sensor, injector o-rings. I tried different tuners (DynoProven, DP and TW), all have the same romp at operating temp.

Also this happens occasionally, when I put the trans in park, the idle gets stuck at 710-750 for 30 sec then it comes back down to 650.

Here is a video that I took of the ICP and DC. You can hear the idle in the video. This is on DynoProven tunes. IMHO, the ICP jumps all over. What can cause this?

There approximately 1500 miles on Rotella 15-40. Used Rotella since day one. Approximately 15k on the HPOP and injectors. Could the HB Jr be sheering the Rotella? I have some Delo sitting in my shop.

https://youtu.be/2S_2UBSFYaY

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
exactly why i dont use rotella in anything i own... put some delo 15/40 in it or some valvoline premium blue in it and drive it...

live life full throttle

mandkole

Reaction score
You could try oil, but its not my experience. Ran multiple 15-40 oils in the OBS with no change.

Valley sub harness in good shape? If that electrical is good, then the remaining possible is an oil side on an injector or two that does not seal as well when hot. I suspect the same thing on mine (and this truck has run Delo exclusively for last 5-6 years). Its more an annoyance than anything.

ghohouston

Reaction score
^agreed, ive yet to experience issues with my t-6 5w40. Along with what mandkole said, check out the fuel bowl/ipr harness. The rubber in the ipr pigtail will erode over time from being exposed to diesel. I'd also make sure the ipr tin nut is tight while you're in there.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
The harness is fine, I made my own harness. IPR nut is tight.

I wondering if it is the TRS. When I'm coasting to stop from a highway off ramp, the motor would lope/romp bad as if it wants to stall as I stop.

How would I check the oil side on the injectors if they are sealing?

Billy T.
[email protected]

mandkole

Reaction score
is it constant romp or just in certain conditions? Ive gotten a weird idle issue every so often after coming down from interstate speed to a stop when the oil is real hot but it settles out. That always seemed like some sort of ICP management issue. Since you said that 3 different tuners all showed the same behavior, it sounds more like a component or mechanical issue.

I could certainly be all wet on that idea, but checking the oil sides is for the injector guys. Since they will seal twice (at bottom and at the top ) in the poppet stroke, so you can check the inj exhaust port for holding pump pressure with the injectors disabled but don't know how you'd check that seal when the armature is pulled up to the solenoid.

Latest posts

Members online