Back in a Powerstroke

Hawker

Reaction score
Finally got rid of my duramax. traded it for an 06 6.0. the chevy had some nice power, but the wife didn't like how it rode. fortunately i found a kid who was looking for what i had, and i was looking for what he did.

Now that i'm back in a powerstroke, can someone explain to me why this truck is so laggy with the turbo? I was always under the assumption with the variable turbo, there was decent boost at lower speeds and such. Normal driving i'll be lucky to hit 10 psi. If i hold it to the floor i MIGHT see 22 psi.

ebp tube is clear. no tuning on it yet, although it does have an edge evo to monitor some things. already has studs, egr delete, and so on.

imelmo

Reaction score
Could be sticking vanes. Try taking the turbo off and cleaning the vanes real good and see how it does.

Hawker

Reaction score
anything special to use? brake cleaner? is there anthing to use to lubricate them?

Hawker

Reaction score
How often does this happen? Now after thinking about it, the kid before me changed the unison ring. Assuming he worked on that like everything else in the truck, he went through and cleaned the vanes and all. Might be worth tearing it down to be sure.

jdc753

Reaction score
Yea if he changed the ring I would assume he cleaned out the rest and it would be all good. Per chance maybe there is a boost leak somewhere, or a ripped boot just venting pressure over 10PSI

Hawker

Reaction score
pulled the intake tube this afternoon and a couple things bothered me. theres minimal to no shaft play, but as i turn the shaft, it seems to be sticky. It doesn't spin nearly as free as my 38r on my other truck did. It seems to stick even more, almost unable to turn if i don't spin it centered, if that makes any sense at all.

almost feels like theres no oil around the shaft.

I may pull the turbo tomorrow anyway to clean it and all, and check it. Can i use anti sieze at the vanes?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.