bad hpop

Dalton6.0

Reaction score
Assuming I have a bad hpop, I was driving home and the truck just shut off. will crank over but the icp pressure is only around 90 psi. but if I unplug the icp sensor it goes to 650.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Unplugging the icp puts it in default reading of 650 koeo or at idle, and then it will bump up if its running. 90 psi sounds like a bad ipr, but could be a blown out injector to rail seal as well. You will have to air test it to determine whats going on.

You didnt say what year truck, but the 05 and up pumps dont die as much as the early pumps. If you have an earl build (03-early 04), youll have to pull a valve cover to airtest.

swinky

Reaction score
Unplugging the icp puts it in default reading of 650 koeo or at idle, and then it will bump up if its running. 90 psi sounds like a bad ipr, but could be a blown out injector to rail seal as well. You will have to air test it to determine whats going on.

You didnt say what year truck, but the 05 and up pumps dont die as much as the early pumps. If you have an earl build (03-early 04), youll have to pull a valve cover to airtest.
Pull a valve cover to air test? That's not accurate.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Dalton6.0

Reaction score
Well it just started this morning so now I'm really confused?
Should I not drive it

dsberman94

Reaction score
i forgot to mention, if its defaulting to 650, it should be starting. If its not the ipr is not functioning properly with hot oil and its allowing all the psi to go back to the pan and not to the oil rails where it needs to.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Could be. Reason being is its defaulting to an acceptable level of pressure. Try leaving it running with it unplugged and plugging it back in and seeing what it does. If it's the same sensor as a 7.3 runs, the telltale sign that it's bad is that it has oil in the connector.

Dalton6.0

Reaction score
It wouldn't run with or without it. I put a new ipr valve in it it started and seemed fine. There was some trash in it when I pulled it out. Idled at like 700-750 psi. I let it idle for a few minutes shut it off for an hour or so. Now it only gets up to 320psi and still won't start with the icp sensor removed and reads 920 when I do that

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Pull a valve cover to air test? That's not accurate.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Where do you air test early builds? Ive never had luck trying to get back in the icp port, even with the turbo off. I have had to use a rubber tipped nozzle on the discharge tube on the pump to find hard to find leaks, but typically the valve cover comes off and one of the little plugs gets pulled to put an adapter in.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
It wouldn't run with or without it. I put a new ipr valve in it it started and seemed fine. There was some trash in it when I pulled it out. Idled at like 700-750 psi. I let it idle for a few minutes shut it off for an hour or so. Now it only gets up to 320psi and still won't start with the icp sensor removed and reads 920 when I do that

Have you air ested yet? You could have a dummy plug shot to hell, an injector seal gone, or the stc blown out.

Latest posts

Members online