Bad ICP sensor with no CEL?

ja_cain

Reaction score
Is it possible to have a bad ICP sensor with now CEL? Truck runs fine for a few miles, then starts missing and then gradually dies. I was thinking it was the fuel pump/filter (hfcm). I would think it would throw a CEL after a while if it doesn't achieve anew acceptable icp relative to throttle input after a certain amount of time. Thanks in advance for the help!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Its possible, usually will set a code though. What year and mods? Early pumps take chits pretty frequently and act like this, until it wont restart anymore.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Its possible, usually will set a code though. What year and mods? Early pumps take chits pretty frequently and act like this, until it wont restart anymore.
Meant to quote you. 03 or 04 excursion

ja_cain

Reaction score
I could see if it was causing the pressure to fluctuate in a screwy way, but when it just degrades over a mile or two I would think it would throw a code. Especially when it eventually dies.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Also, did not have my scan gauge with me to check injection parameters. As soon as I have the opportunity I'm going to hook it up. Thanks a bunch for the info!

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I could see if it was causing the pressure to fluctuate in a screwy way, but when it just degrades over a mile or two I would think it would throw a code. Especially when it eventually dies.

Is there any smoke when its dying? Is the egr and all that intact? You had mentioned fuel pressure, is that ok?

ja_cain

Reaction score
Is there any smoke when its dying? Is the egr and all that intact? You had mentioned fuel pressure, is that ok?
I don't think there was any smoke and we didn't have a way to check fuel pressure at the time. Is that something that's monitored by the computer on a 6.0? I would think that smoke increase if the icp was being effected (lowered) by the faulty sensor or Ipr. We could physically hear the fuel pump running when it was idling. It also seemed like it ran much longer before it shut off when going to start it. This was when it was running at its worse. I just have this gut feeling that it is the fuel pump.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
With the icp issue, you cant really go off smoke, sometimes it will dump heavy black, other times nothing. Smoke check would more be checking other things like a copper washer on an injector, egr issue, etc.

What do your fuel filters look like, at least the top one? When it quits, shut the key off and crack the top filter cap, then turn the key back on, see if it pumps any fuel out. Dont completely pull the cap, just crack it a few turns to see if fuel comes out.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I wanted to give no update on this thread so as to help anyone who may have/might run across this scenario. My buddy finally got back from vacation a week ago and carried his ex to a friend's house. I think it was the same guy the dummy proofed it. They found out that the pickup in the tank was broken. I knew it had to be the fuel side that was the issue. I had even mentioned that the screen could be plugged or the pickup broken, but figured the pump was the first/easiest place to start. I think a clear in line filter on the suction side would be perfect for helping to diagnose a fuel delivery problem. Fuel pressure gauge is also a no brainer.

He was supposed to send me a pick of the pickup. Will post it up when he does.

Latest posts

Members online