Bad Oil Cooler?

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
we did a reman swap on a 03 excursion, temps were all in check for 1000+ miles, did an oil change...400 miles or so later, oil tems are showing 235-240 with spike to 255. coolant around 192. with the new motor we did studs, oil cooler, egr delete, ect. could the oil cooler really be bad again already?

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
i know what it should be, im questioning if the oil cooler has crapped out already, or if it could be something else, i was thinking a sensor, but idk if that would explain the loss of power

Snake

Reaction score
Sounds like the oil cooler is clogged. The 6.0 goes into limp mode when the oil temp hits 253* (I think that's the magic number).

My current delta is about the same: ECT 202 / EOT 235.

FWIW, I'm in the process of replacing my oil cooler again. First one was okay for 120k miles, second one clogged some time in the last 40k. Maybe in the last 20k. I was tired of messing with it and worrying about it and bought the Bulletproof oil cooler. Only way to go IMO.

Are you checking the split after 10-15 min of driving on flat road at 60-65 mph?

Last edited:

Irontx

Reaction score
Preaching to the choir!!! Lol.... Yeah... 253 is the number. Those sound like my numbers. Get to spend Saturday dropping in an oil cooler and flushing the shyt out of it.....

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
if it goes into limp mode, does changing the oil cooler automatically fix the issue, or does something with the computer need to be done?

Irontx

Reaction score
Truck defuels to try and bring the temps down....once you are under the temp..... Turn it off and restart....and its good to go. Little wrench light will be gone.

Latest posts

Members online