Barder Stage 2 Vs 64.5/62 SXE?

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Truck is a 05 27,000 miles.

currently has a blown turbo so he is looking at upgrading.

(I think lack of letting the truck cool down/watching his egts caused it to give.)

Truck is driven on the weekends (sometimes) and to tow his boat once in a while. (most of the time, why the truck is driven)

Currently has TSD tunes 5 inch exhaust, afe CAI and Banks IC.

it will be sticking W/ stock injectors. (with a very slight chance of upgrading as he might stud it in the future.)

What would you guys go with? I was leaning towards the VGT because he tows his boat. (Spool up?)

but.. I hear, S362/S364 SXE spool quick, that is why they have came into consideration.

How would a 62/68/.91 or 64.5/74/.91 SXE do towing about 8-10K?

The boat only gets towed about 10-15 miles round trip (all flat ground, so its not very far, short distance)

Other than that if he does DD he cruises around with a romp on the throttle here and there.

would he be better off, sticking with a VGT since he tows?

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

DieselMater86

Reaction score
I would stick with a vgt turbo if he is just going to tow barely and then red light to red light romping. If he did do some work would say studs 155s maybe 175 if he ever got the itch and a stage 1 powermax. My pm does great towing and cruising town now just waiting on the new setup and maybe a stage 2.5 pm

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
With the lack of driving, a non vgt may be worth it. Lack of driving, and steady state driving is killer on vgt turbos, causes them to stick. I dont exactly know what all is done to the aftermarket vgts, besides the billet vanes and unison ring, that will aid in having them not stick, but we see it a ton on stockers.

slc6oh

Reaction score
Im on a stock injector truck with a 62/68 .83, definately runs alot cooler than the stock vgt charger. Problem is: spool up on a tow tune while not towing is a touch on the laggy side off idle. But once your moving its a never ending pit of power. Does not like to tow below 2,000rpm with the converter locked. And with a hot enough tune to light the turbo faster while not towing studs would be mandatory imo. My head gaskets were junk on a stock turbo and street tune. Maybe seeing 22#....On the 62 ill clear 30# faily quickly and fairly easily. (Im told about 42# is what the 62 with stock sticks will do)

Kbuterbaugh04

Reaction score
If you're set on a Barder, I'm having a shop mine off. Has around 3,000 miles on it.

Sent while hiding in a corner.

04cr450

Reaction score
I had a 64.5 sxe (same specs as the one you posted)with 205/75's and towed a Mustang with it, the trailer is a heavy duty big tex as well putting the weight up there, summer time, back roads and highway. No issues at all with a tow tune. With stock fuel you won't have any need to look at the egts I would think. I had/have a stage 2 vgt kc turbo paired with 175/75's but never towed with it so can't comment on it. I'm sure it would have been great as well

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
You can't beat a VGT for 500hp or less. We use the Stage 2 from KC quite a bit and have had some customers that tow pretty heavy. It reacts as quickly as stock does in most applications

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Im on a stock injector truck with a 62/68 .83, definately runs alot cooler than the stock vgt charger. Problem is: spool up on a tow tune while not towing is a touch on the laggy side off idle. But once your moving its a never ending pit of power. Does not like to tow below 2,000rpm with the converter locked. And with a hot enough tune to light the turbo faster while not towing studs would be mandatory imo. My head gaskets were junk on a stock turbo and street tune. Maybe seeing 22#....On the 62 ill clear 30# faily quickly and fairly easily. (Im told about 42# is what the 62 with stock sticks will do)

Do you have any videos, of the truck driving down the road?

Off idle spool etc etc?

Dont really have any videos with 62/64.5 on stock injectors on YouTube.

(That's why I was leaning towards the VGT)

Thanks for the input guys.

slc6oh

Reaction score
Do you have any videos, of the truck driving down the road?

Off idle spool etc etc?

Dont really have any videos with 62/64.5 on stock injectors on YouTube.

(That's why I was leaning towards the VGT)

Thanks for the input guys.

http://youtu.be/L3S7Hdd-Vtc

This is the only real speedo vid i have, idp extreme street with lockup in all gears. Starts in 3rd gear, i mash it then theres a second or so of nothing then it takes off

strokin6L

Reaction score
Only has 500 miles because it's a pulling truck...and occasional driving. Only had it a year I think. Can't remember what he's asking...but i thought it was around $1800. If you are interested I can find out. He's selling because he's looking for something different for pulling...maybe a non vgt setup instead.

Extended Power

Reaction score
You can't just slap a non-vgt turbo on, and expect good spool up.
You will also need divided up pipes...which make a huge difference in the way a non-vgt turbo spools up.

I would stick with a vgt turbo if I was the owner...studs or not.

superBADduty

Reaction score
Only has 500 miles because it's a pulling truck...and occasional driving. Only had it a year I think. Can't remember what he's asking...but i thought it was around $1800. If you are interested I can find out. He's selling because he's looking for something different for pulling...maybe a non vgt setup instead.

I think they sell for $1,800 new at Barder.

Latest posts

Members online