Battery Relocation

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
Im looking to relocate my batteries to the bed of my truck. I've seen some cool Ideas for battery location around here, but I haven't seen what people are using as far as distribution blocks to connect the factory cables to.

Anyone have any trick setups they care to show off or share?

dieseljohn76

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
im knew to diesels but have been reeding a lot of the stuff here. what is the advantage or need to move your battery?

rray37375

Reaction score
im knew to diesels but have been reeding a lot of the stuff here. what is the advantage or need to move your battery?
Getting them away from heat. Heat kills batteries.

Anyone ever thought of relocating batteries to the passenger side frame rail like Ford did to the E-series vans with the 6.0?

dieseljohn76

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score

Anyone ever thought of relocating batteries to the passenger side frame rail like Ford did to the E-series vans with the 6.0?

woodn't you loose cranking power because of the much longer cables?

Six_Sloww

Reaction score

I just want more room in the engine bay and a cleaner look, people have done the e-series mount with success.

I'm more curious as to how people handle the wiring portion, I know it's a fairly simple concept I just want to see if anyone has some really clean, imaginative ways of doing it.. Especially for the guys with lots of extra accessories powered off the batteries.

2wd-fire

Reaction score

Seen people even weld the van mount on the frame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2000wa250

Reaction score
If I was going to move them, I'd put them inside the passenger side frame rail...balance out the fuel tank and stop the one side lean!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Super08Duty

Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind with frame mounted batteries is accessibility. Not a good place for them when your truck won't start and it's raining or your offroad. Also if your using acid filled batteries, they need to be protected from road debris and everyday driving. Always run 2/0 wire when moving batteries out of the engine bay. I killed an alternator with 1/0 wire.

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind with frame mounted batteries is accessibility. Not a good place for them when your truck won't start and it's raining or your offroad. Also if your using acid filled batteries, they need to be protected from road debris and everyday driving. Always run 2/0 wire when moving batteries out of the engine bay. I killed an alternator with 1/0 wire.

It's my play truck, so they'll be bed mounted with battery boxes, the truck hardly sees rain.

What did you use under the hood as a junction block? I'm just trying to visualize what others have done

Super08Duty

Reaction score
I have 2 blocks. My main block is a street wire audio block. I can double check if you'd like. It has 2 fuses in it that can't take the amperage these trucks push, so you'll have to find larger ones or use a piece of metal to jump one side to the other. That box is what ties the main wires from the engine bay to the battery wires. Then I have a steel plate with studs welded to it on the driver side for accessories which is fed from the main box using 0 guage. Just make sure your starter and alternator wires are 0/2 so you don't create resistant, I.e. Smoking main components.

Latest posts

Members online