Best Way to Address Stripped Intake Elbow Hole?

imelmo

Reaction score
I'm not gonna point any fingers, but SOMEONE stripped the threads on the intake manifold where the elbow mounts. **raises own hand** :doh: Apparently my torque wrench isn't working.

Luckily it's the one that's easiest to get to, the front passenger side one. What's the best way to go about addressing it? Helicoil? Tap it larger? Other?

Jeremysmith9902

Reaction score
drill and tap a slitely bigger whole and put a bastard allen bolt in it.. quick fix.. just gotta remember that it goes in that whole.. 1/4-20 or a 3/16

imelmo

Reaction score
And while I'm at it, is 23 ft/lbs the correct torque for the elbow?

I'm pretty sure my torque wrench is broke but I want to make sure.

Jeremysmith9902

Reaction score
1/4-28 grade 8 bolt tq specs is 10 ftlbs 120 inlbs.... i know those bolts are metric but this should be pretty close if not bigger than those bolts...

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
I'm not gonna point any fingers, but SOMEONE stripped the threads on the intake manifold where the elbow mounts. **raises own hand** :doh: Apparently my torque wrench isn't working.

Luckily it's the one that's easiest to get to, the front passenger side one. What's the best way to go about addressing it? Helicoil? Tap it larger? Other?

:mad:

Mdub707

Reaction score
helicoil. Just use some common sense when tightening them.

This. Heli-coil it, uses the same bolt so you don't have to worry about different sized bolts (that would drive me nuts, OCD).

I just use a 1/4" drive ratchet and common sense as well.

imelmo

Reaction score
Steve replaces the factory aluminum of the manifold with some kind of cheap Chinese aluminum apparently.

Wayne

Reaction score
And while I'm at it, is 23 ft/lbs the correct torque for the elbow?

I'm pretty sure my torque wrench is broke but I want to make sure.

LOL no wonder it stripped. Try 8 lb/ft :poke: Heli-coil FTW 770-3091 is the p/n for the whole kit from napa. 6 mm x 1.0. I'm fixing 2 blown thread holes by another shop on a 6.4 now. :D