best way to clean head mating surface on the the block

06 stroker

Reaction score
OK I have done many head jobs on 6.0 and have been cleaning the block(where the head gaskets mate) with a sharpening stone and wd40. Doug at gogo told me this trick and it does work. Wanted to know some other peoples techniques!?

Dzlnut

Reaction score
I used a 6 in or so piece of key stock wrapped with fine grit emery cloth. WD-40 as well, then cleaned it all up with carb cleaner.

06 stroker

Reaction score
Has anyone else used the sharpening stone technique. I mean it works great just takes a lot of time

cfdeng7

Reaction score
I always stone the block. It takes time but when dealing with having to remove the cab for headgaskets its worth it to do it right the first time.

Jeremysmith9902

Reaction score
The wet rock/ knife sharpening rock/ hone... Is deff the best way to go.. it shows you all your high spots and you won't take too much off with it.. croil or 3in1 are e lubes to use..

hawgdoctor

Reaction score
Or go to any of.the larger sporting goods stores. Most of them will have good stones. If not the internet is your friend.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Mdub707

Reaction score
I'm not terribly familiar with sharpening stones, is there a certain grit or roughness to look for or avoid or are they pretty much all the same?

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
I'm not terribly familiar with sharpening stones, is there a certain grit or roughness to look for or avoid or are they pretty much all the same?

If u can find a large "diamond" tristone that's what I would use

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

LReiff

Reaction score
I clean the block decks by hand with maroon 3M Scotch-Brite pad and WD-40. I've never had a gasket sealing issue. Power tools of any sort can remove metal and are not worth the risk.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I use a razor blade myself.

I've read you're not even supposed to do that... Some just use the Ford "goop" (I forget the official name) apply it to the surface, let it sit for a little while, then scrape off with a brass knife or similar. The razor could mark up the block surface no?

Irontx

Reaction score
I've read you're not even supposed to do that... Some just use the Ford "goop" (I forget the official name) apply it to the surface, let it sit for a little while, then scrape off with a brass knife or similar. The razor could mark up the block surface no?

You can mess it up with any of the ways..... I just take my time.

Members online

No members online now.