Blown head gaskets or cracked EGR coolers?

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Truck is a Job 2 109,000 miles.

Still has the factory coolers and EGR valve.

It's tuned and del-eted with spar_tan tunes.

it has excessive pressure out of the degas bottle, sometimes it will puke.

(It has the new updated style cap it's around 2 years old.)

Over the last 2 or so years, I noticed on certain starts every once and a great while, it would blow a puff of white smoke out of the exhaust and clear up.

EOT/ECT is within 4-7 degrees of each other (usually 198/203.)

What you guys think?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
cracked egr cooler, or head gaskets starting to go.

cbenn47

Reaction score
PM me if your going to go with new EGR coolers, I have a set of Bullet Proof EGR coolrs with less then 6000 miles on them bought them new for as just in case Washington state went with yearly inspections, they dropped the thought so did a complete EGR removal.
I blew my head gaskets with S part an 250 as a daily driving tune.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
It really could go either way, I would think a cracked cooler would make it drink coolant all the time.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the input guys.

What would cause the upper radiator hose to collapse and when the cap it's taken off the degas bottle it reforms?

Sounds like the cap is bad?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
The cap is not really made to vent a vacuum from the system. So really there isn't much that you can do there.

webb06

Reaction score
I'd pull the intake horn off and see if it's wet inside the intake.

From my experience id guess headgaskets if it's puking under hard load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wackyman9

Reaction score
If its the egr coolers, wouldn't you be able to get coolant out of them if you cracked the cooler flanges on the exhaust gas side? Could that verify that it would be the coolers?

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Pan4905

Reaction score
If its the egr coolers, wouldn't you be able to get coolant out of them if you cracked the cooler flanges on the exhaust gas side? Could that verify that it would be the coolers?

Mine were wet inside. Brought the truck in for a head stud job because it was blowing coolant. Assumed it was head gaskets. Still had the egr coolers on the truck and it ended up being the coolers ruptured and would pressurize the cooling system only under a hard load. Head gaskets were fine. Ended up doing everything anyway just to get it over with.

wackyman9

Reaction score
I would hope for coolers over heads.... Easier to diagnose and fix, especially if you can catch it quick enough..

TjMiller

Reaction score
What tune you run? Cooler block offs are cheap, you already have the valve disabled right? Wouldnt you want to do that right away? I know at 100,001 miles I felt like I was on borrowed time. If you took them off could pressurize them.

03cody

Reaction score
I'd put my money on gaskets. I say this because I just went through the same thing. I bought the truck and ******d it right away........needless to say it didn't fix my problem. Mine would get down to a certain level and stay there but it had pressure in the degas bottle all the time and puke if filled. If it is puking.....its probably gaskets.

f350guy

Reaction score
I have a Job 2, '09 build truck I bought new. May of '09 actually.

In any event, I have had it straight piped since 9000 miles with a mild 'street' tune (~475hp area) from one of the big tuners up in the Northeast. I lost my horizontal EGR cooler around 65k if I recall correctly, I can check my records if you need to know exact mileage it failed.

I had blockoff plates on the truck at the time and I found out the cooler failed as it was leaking from the upper block off plate at the intake manifold elbow. They are easy enough to blockoff for testing reasons.

Of course, there could be coolant in the oil with a failed HG. Analyzed oil would tell this also.

Start with the easy stuff, go from there.