Blown MBRP downpipe

MaineiacF250

Reaction score
I was just driving along and go onto it alittle and heard a pop and smelled smoke. Downpipe has two holes blown in it just off the turbo. Seems to of blown alittle oil out the holes as well. Lost boost as well. Any ideas? Bad pipe?

Jhaddox

Reaction score
Guessing a wheel exited out of the downpipe...cutting a hole in it and the oil is from the blown turbo...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

MaineiacF250

Reaction score
Thats exactly what happened. Just pulled the downpipe. It was a new 72mm turbo with 2500 miles on it. Spartan, elite studs, ported intake, rudys up pipes, fuel bowl delete, valve springs, no limits elbow/cac pipe, air dog II steed manifolds....

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
Dam. Elite told me having a blow off valve is a must when I ordered my 72. Wouldn't think one would fail that soon though. They should have received there shipment of 72s that were on back order by now so maybe you can get a replacement asap.

3brorce

Reaction score
First I am hearing of needing a BOV with a 72. Maybe a wastegate but I wouldnt expect to need a BOV.

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
Sounds like a faulty charger, not an over speed. I was told, by many on this site that a gate was not really needed with stock fuel. The tech I spoke to at elite mentioned that without a BOV, it would be real hard on the thrust bearing when I let off quick under full boost. I took there advice and installed one and have no turbo bark or anything when I dump a good 50psi in a hurry. Not saying a lack of one caused this failure but it might be worth thinking about in the future for the longevity of the 72.

weekendwarriorfsw32

Reaction score
Whose BV do you have?

Sounds like a faulty charger, not an over speed. I was told, by many on this site that a gate was not really needed with stock fuel. The tech I spoke to at elite mentioned that without a BOV, it would be real hard on the thrust bearing when I let off quick under full boost. I took there advice and installed one and have no turbo bark or anything when I dump a good 50psi in a hurry. Not saying a lack of one caused this failure but it might be worth thinking about in the future for the longevity of the 72.

MaineiacF250

Reaction score
I haven't talked to Elite personally yet but I talked to Rudys today cause I purchased it thru them and they called Elite. They told me to send it back to Elite and they would check it out. Gonna pull it off tomorrow hopefully. Wish I atleast had a good racing story or something but I was only going 50ish and started up a hill when it let go. :lame:

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
My Elite 72 runs like a champ so don't get discouraged. I run the JGS 60MM Diesel BOV kit to the guy that asked. Its a mechanical set up. Seems to be working well now that im getting it dialed in..

Latest posts

Members online