Blown turbo

cookrj22

Reaction score
alright guys i blew the turbo yesterday completely snapped the shaft in half. while researching parts and rebuild kits. i started thinking about making the switch over to a T-4 style. i see irate diesel and a few other places have the whole kit for around $1600 W/O turbo. i dont think i want to go as big as a S366 not sure if i can spool that quick enough or use its full potential. so my question is what is a good size turbo for this conversion? i have 175CC swamps injectors not sure on nozzle size. TS 6POS with swamps tunes 4" DP to 5" straightpipe. any input is really appreciated

JDub

Reaction score
The S364.5 FMW with 70mm turbine wheel and .91 a/r that HTT builds as a direct replacement for the S366 would be a perfect option. Spools better than the 366 but moves about the same amount of air on the compressor side. Irate should be able to set you up with one...

mattman347

Reaction score
What he said^. Let me know I I can help with the mount! Even with 175/stock nozzles the 366 will spool good, but the 364.5 will be even better!

cookrj22

Reaction score
ok thanks guys ill look into that s364.5 i appreciate your input. i'm going to rebuild the stock turbo until i have the funds to switch over. @arisley thanks for catching that typo haha.

BAMF0816

Reaction score
it seems you are set on a T4 set-up. But have you considered looking into doing just a 38r and some IH uppies(assuming you don't have them) for idk, $1800? just curious. oh, I also have a brand new used stocker to get you by if needed. hope this was useful. @Arisley, too funny.

cookrj22

Reaction score
yes i have thought about just putting a 38R on there. but then i hear all the time that you can't rebuild them(or its very expensive to) if they take a dump. and I don't think the 38R has enough room to grow with the truck if i eventually want to really start building the motor...I know a little bit about a lot but this is my first diesel. so i appreciate everyones opinion. a few of my friends are trying to talk me into the 38R as well. i just don't want to spend that much money on it and then eventually switch to t4 anyways

Reaction score
If you feel like your definitely gonna go bigger in the future, then you've already answered your question, go T4, otherwise, yes I feel the BASB is still a better performer than the 38r, but the 38r is a solid turbo, and will handle a lot of abuse

TyCorr

Reaction score
38r will go 200k miles with larger injectors.

An s366 is less of a turbo than a 38r if that clears anyhting up. A bb center section makes a huuuuuge difference in spoolup and durability.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.