Blue Smoke till high idle

Decker

Reaction score
I have 2004 F250 6.0. Recently when i start my truck i get a blue smoke till my high idle kicks in. Soon as it kick in and i drive away its fine. Doesn't smoke when i am at a stop nor while driving. Only when i start it up then when i wait for about 3 min till high idle kicks in. I think it may be my turbo seal or possible ficm? Think it could be turbo seal because soon as high idle kicks in and turbo spools up it clears up? But also thinking it could be FICM because when it was cold here in Michigan i was getting a low contribution code on one cylinder till engine was warmed up. Thinking maybe from low contribution on that cylinder that the injector may be stick/failing?

Think ill be tearing down my turbo to look get a better look. Where would be a good place to get a turbo seal rebuild kit?

Decker

Reaction score
Well I'm gonna follow up on this, just incase anyone has the same issue. I got to tear everything down i pulled apart my turbo found out my unison ring was all rusted up and seized. So clean that all up and ordered a new unison ring. Started to tear down to replace my turbo seal and found inside was all covered in harden crusted oil. Cleaned that all up and replaced both journal bearing and the spacer with the seal. Basically did the entire rebuild kit. Put it all back together and now i have zero smoke at start up. Turbo spools up right away and sounds good. Have the say thanks to Charlie at KC turbos getting me the turbo seal kit and unison ring pretty quick.

But i do have a question for anyone willing to give some input. I had a low contribution code on cylinder 7 for a while during winter but since it warmed up it has gone away. While i was doing the turbo seal i also changed my oil cooler. I got that all changed out and put back together did a oil change with new filter and now I'm getting a low contribution code on cylinder 5 now. It runs fine until it warms up. It runs rough and sounds like a gasser with a miss. Any thoughts? Any input would be appreciated.

Decker

Reaction score
Not what i wanted to hear. But today i was messing around with different tunes. I only have the pre loaded tunes with the edge evo. Anyways when i have it set on the tow tune it has a miss when idling. When i put it on stock or the economy there isn't a miss. So could it be the tuner or for sure the injector or could it be the ficm? I don't really want to put in a new injector just to change all them out and go bigger in the future?

Latest posts

Members online