Brand new moog ball joint rotates inside knuckle

young7.3

Reaction score
Has anyone ran into this problem? It seems the area the lower ball joint presses into is deformed and no longer in spec? Has anyone ever had their knuckle wear like this?

Im using the Moog K8607T* ball joint. Box says “problem solver” on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
wow, I haven't seen that on any of these trucks.

Are you doing one side or 2? I would grab the other lower ball joint and check fit, compare size. Probably even run to the store with a mic or dial caliper and get another new one out of the box. Compare it to the old one.

hate to know how many parts I have gotten brand new in box that were made wrong, boxed wrong, or just plain faulty from the factory.

Rust and corrosion, I am sure it is possible. But dang.

Is this a toy or a daily driver?
We used to tack weld them into race cars. Might be an option if you are stranded and need to get moving.

tomlin

Reaction score
I've seen it before. Somebody pressed in knurled ball joints at some point and now the knuckle is oversize. As far as I know, once the knurled joint fits loosely from multiple ball joint changes, the knuckle is junk. In fact, I have a brand spanking new set of DynaTracs that I cannot use because of this situation on my truck. The knurled Moogs fit tight but the DynaTracs fall in the knuckle.

ncollins64

Reaction score
I’ve ran into this problem before. Bad ball joints can move and cause this, or the knurled joints like you said. There is a website, I’ll see if I can find it, but they make these inserts so basically you drill out the knuckle and install the inserts then you can install the correct ball joints. I’ve also seen guys weld the hole up and redrill and taper it

young7.3

Reaction score
K8607T* ball joint measures 1.982in

Knuckle meaures 1.982in

No room for a press fit there.

Im planning to do both sides. The ball joint I removed was knurled but its hard telling if it was the original or not. Truck has 278k and isnt my daily but we use it to haul our 34’ camper.

I spoke with Moog and apparently the part number i need is k8607t005, which is .005 inch larger than their k8607t ball joints. Sourcing the larger ball joint from a local auto store is a pita. Im going to oreillys and autozone to manually measure the ones they have instock and find one that is larger than the current Moog k8607t that rotated by hand inside the knuckle.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Did you indeed get the proper torque on the lower nut? Often it spins 40 lbs before you reach torque or were they loose just test fitting?

And your going with MOOG again? I recently replaced my 2nd set of MOOG in my truck. I installed NAPA joints, with the green boots. Supposed to be the best out there currently. TTX

ncollins64

Reaction score
Yea personally I won’t buy moog anything anymore. I use the Napa stuff and dynatrac. My Napa stuff is still going strong and it has double the use as the moog stuff thus far

young7.3

Reaction score
Did you indeed get the proper torque on the lower nut? Often it spins 40 lbs before you reach torque or were they loose just test fitting?

And your going with MOOG again? I recently replaced my 2nd set of MOOG in my truck. I installed NAPA joints, with the green boots. Supposed to be the best out there currently. TTX

The ball joint was loose just testing fitting. Ill see if i can upload a video.

After checking several different ball joints at the store and speaking with Moog directly, it seems my knuckle is too large for a normal ball joint anymore. Moog makes a ball joint that is .005” larger than the
standard size. Part K8607t005 is the larger ball joint, (hence the 005(.005) in the name). I have two of these on order so we shall see if they do the trick. If they dont work, looks like ill be buying a new knuckle. See my notes below for the measurements of the different ball joints.

99ea05e9dc58105449e194bee02fc320.jpg

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
This is good to know. We all should be running into 3rd or 4th sets on these trucks... Insane..

tomlin

Reaction score
Yea personally I won’t buy moog anything anymore. I use the Napa stuff and dynatrac. My Napa stuff is still going strong and it has double the use as the moog stuff thus far
Good luck on the Dynatracs if an aftermarket replacement ball joint has ever been installed. I have an $800.00 set of Dynatrac paperweights right now. They just fell into the knuckle when I went to install them. Ended up using knurled Mevotech Supreme joints. I guess if I ever want to use the Dynatracs I either purchase new steering knuckles, weld up the existing knuckles and re-bore or have the Dynatracs knurled. The sad part is the truck only has 126k on it. Whomever installed the second set of ball joints must have used some cheapo junk.

fastersteve

Reaction score
I wish the Dynatracs were available for my 2wd truck. I'm tired of putting ball joints in it.

Latest posts

Members online