broke piston cooling jet bolt..

jrex2506

Reaction score
I had a torque wrench malfunction when I was installing it. it caused me to over torque and snap the bolt off flush. it has threadlocker on it. is the best way to remove it to drill it out? feel like an idiot...

sent while on on patrol.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
id drill it out, get at least 3-4 drill bit sizes through, get a good easy out, heat the block around the threads super hot then slowly start to put pressure on backing it out. patience is key... I normally wouldnt suggest a easy out, but we know its a fresh install, and not a rusted out bolt. but use heat to melt the loctite

jrex2506

Reaction score
OK that's what I thought just got everything ready to go n something stupid happens.

are these special bolts? that's what it says in manual to not use any other type of bolt. even same size n all

sent while on on patrol.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I would try welding something to it. For flush broken stuff, ive had luck welding a washer to it, and trying pulling it out with pliers, if that dont work, you can weld a nut to the washer and pull it out with a ratchet.

jrex2506

Reaction score
I was thinking bout that but its gonna be hard to get in there to weld

sent while on on patrol.

joe d

Reaction score
Drill it and easy out it put a littel grease on bit to try and catch littel metal pieces or run a shop vac and dril at the same time good luck.

jrex2506

Reaction score
I'll just stay with bit n easy out. so should I just use a ford bolt or get one same size/length

sent while on on patrol.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Welding inside a block scares the $hit outta me.

lol yes... i was even hesitant on telling OP to heat the surface area, but its loctite and it needs to be melted before going further. hopefully he has a good little spot torch tip

jrex2506

Reaction score
I've got those little propane torches. getting the bolts is the next problem.

sent while on on patrol.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
any ford dealer can get them. just take your time extracting this one and dont try to do it with Harbor Freight garbage tools

jrex2506

Reaction score
I've heard about some of the jets failing so since this happened I'll probably just replace all the bolts and jets just to ease my mind. I torqued a couple before this one broke so I'm worried bout those now. this crap keeps up I'll never get the thing put back together ..

sent while on on patrol.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
well pending on what loctite you used, youll need to heat them to remove them. I have cracked open/swapped hundreds of motors and have only seen one jet failure and it was on a 7.3

jrex2506

Reaction score
OK makes me feel better might just replace bolts and move on. thanks for the help. just getting itch to drive my truck again lol.

sent while on on patrol.

sootie

Reaction score
Just don't heat the bolt itself. You will harden it and eat drill bits like crazy.

Latest posts

Members online