"Bulletproof" 6.0 Puking coolant

PABowhunter

Reaction score
I don't spend a lot of time in the 6.0 forums, so I'm looking for some help on my dad's 04.

Little background on the truck. He bought it new in 2004 and had a few problems right off the bat. Had to be towed into the dealer twice I believe. Around 2008-2009 he started having egr cooler issues. At that point he had around 80k-90k on the odometer. Truck was still stock. He proceeded to have a local diesel shop bulletproof it. This consisted of headstuds, new headgaskets, egr block off plate. The heads were sent to the machine shop to be checked out and came back okay. A new turbo was also put on at this time (old one was pushing oil out seal). After this was all done we put a an exhaust on and got him some tunes from Innovative.

Truck ran pretty well for the next couple years. Put a new ficm in at some point and the blue fuel spring. Fast forward to last year and he was having turbo issues. The boost was building to 35-40 psi, but with no power. I figured the vanes were stuck shut. We took the turbo off to clean the vanes and found the turbo pretty much shot. Swapped a stage 1 turbo in from Barder and called it a day. While we were doing this I noticed some coolant residue around the degas cap. I ordered a new one just in case it wasn't holding pressure.

Today we were coming home from South Carolina to Pennsylvania with a 16 ft enclosed trailer in tow (maybe 4k-5k lbs) and the truck was running great. Pulled Fancy Gap hill in Virginia like a champ. About an hour later I blew an intercooler boot on a hill on 81. Pulled over and popped the hood and see fresh coolant on the hood and battery. Degas bottle is totally empty. Filled it up with water and got it home.

Where do I go from here? Sounds like classic headgaskets. Should I be checking something with the oil cooler? Not sure if anything was done to that when they bulletproofed it. Could the block off plate be causing a problem? Truck has 197,000 on it now, so it's been over 100k since the bulletproof.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

webb06

Reaction score
I don't spend a lot of time in the 6.0 forums, so I'm looking for some help on my dad's 04.

Little background on the truck. He bought it new in 2004 and had a few problems right off the bat. Had to be towed into the dealer twice I believe. Around 2008-2009 he started having egr cooler issues. At that point he had around 80k-90k on the odometer. Truck was still stock. He proceeded to have a local diesel shop bulletproof it. This consisted of headstuds, new headgaskets, egr block off plate. The heads were sent to the machine shop to be checked out and came back okay. A new turbo was also put on at this time (old one was pushing oil out seal). After this was all done we put a an exhaust on and got him some tunes from Innovative.

Truck ran pretty well for the next couple years. Put a new ficm in at some point and the blue fuel spring. Fast forward to last year and he was having turbo issues. The boost was building to 35-40 psi, but with no power. I figured the vanes were stuck shut. We took the turbo off to clean the vanes and found the turbo pretty much shot. Swapped a stage 1 turbo in from Barder and called it a day. While we were doing this I noticed some coolant residue around the degas cap. I ordered a new one just in case it wasn't holding pressure.

Today we were coming home from South Carolina to Pennsylvania with a 16 ft enclosed trailer in tow (maybe 4k-5k lbs) and the truck was running great. Pulled Fancy Gap hill in Virginia like a champ. About an hour later I blew an intercooler boot on a hill on 81. Pulled over and popped the hood and see fresh coolant on the hood and battery. Degas bottle is totally empty. Filled it up with water and got it home.

Where do I go from here? Sounds like classic headgaskets. Should I be checking something with the oil cooler? Not sure if anything was done to that when they bulletproofed it. Could the block off plate be causing a problem? Truck has 197,000 on it now, so it's been over 100k since the bulletproof.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Hook up a pressure gauge on the degas bottle hose and see what kind of pressure it'll build under load. Check oil temp and coolant temp deltas too just to see how the oil cooler is. If it wasn't replaced when the egr cooler failed I'm sure it's in desperate need of it. Sounds like head gaskets to me too. Were oem gaskets used?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PABowhunter

Reaction score
I'm almost positive oem gaskets were used. I'm gonna try and find all the receipts tomorrow. I'll also hook up the AE and check the deltas for oil and coolant temp.

PABowhunter

Reaction score
Ran some data logs with the AE. Temps looked good. They were pretty much the same once it got up to operating temp. What temps do 6.0's typically run at?

PABowhunter

Reaction score
Any chance that coolant could have flash boiled when I lost a ic boot? I got out of it and pulled over pretty quick. Didn't even bother trying to get to the top of the hill.

PABowhunter

Reaction score
Yup, been the studded the entire time it's been tuned. 100k+ miles.

I looked back at the receipts when it was studded. Looks like oem gaskets were used and the heads were decked. Not sure how much was taken off.

Guess the only other thing to check is the degas bottle cap.

Latest posts

Members online