Cetane Rating

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Okay I got a question for Y'all. The 6.4 was design to run at minimum of 45 cetane. Most cetane ratings around the U.S is 38-40 will there be any long term effects on our trucks running the lower quality diesel IE 38 instead of the minimum 45 Ford recommends?

I also got another question when I run diesel kleen in my 6.4 their is so much injector clatter it literally doesn't sound normal (Only has loud clatter when using diesel kleen) is that normal?

Truck is on its second set of injectors and HPFP.

Thanks in advance.

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
Personally if the injectors are making noise after the diesel kleen treatment I'd stop using it... How many miles on the truck? Fuel quality is crucial

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Atsah

Reaction score
In my 6.0's I allways used Motorcraft Cetane/Performance improver year round with good results.. I don't know how the low cetane levels effect a 6.4 but I do know the 6.0 ran a lot better with the additive and it helped with keeping the intact EGR valve clean..

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
You shouldn't be on your second set... Not unless there was some catastrophic event with your hpfp

skobiak

Reaction score
Okay I got a question for Y'all. The 6.4 was design to run at minimum of 45 cetane. Most cetane ratings around the U.S is 38-40 will there be any long term effects on our trucks running the lower quality diesel IE 38 instead of the minimum 45 Ford recommends?

I also got another question when I run diesel kleen in my 6.4 their is so much injector clatter it literally doesn't sound normal (Only has loud clatter when using diesel kleen) is that normal?

Truck is on its second set of injectors and HPFP.

Thanks in advance.

Maybe try the power services stuff, if its available. I have used that for the past 30000km with no injector rattle. As far as the cetane rating goes, I don't personally think its an issue if you are religious about your fuel system maintenance, and especially NEVER let your tank go below 1/4 (I wont go below 3/8 personally).

swinky

Reaction score
I think Power Service is diesel kleen..

Correct. The rev-x additive looks promising. 1oz bumps cetane up as much as the diesel kleen recommended dose (substantially more)

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
You shouldn't be on your second set... Not unless there was some catastrophic event with your hpfp

Yeah the HPFP went out sent debris in the fuel system and took the injectors out. everything in the fuel system had to be replaced.

Dave

Reaction score
Correct. The rev-x additive looks promising. 1oz bumps cetane up as much as the diesel kleen recommended dose (substantially more)

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

I love the Rev X additive

TyCorr

Reaction score
As far as diesel kleen goes, its not magic. It averages out fuels. It made crappy fuel better and it made good.fuel worse. I stopped using it and discovered alot about fuel and where I was getting it. Two places Ihad theford dealer test.their.fuel and it was crap. So.now.I only go.two.places.

Atsah is right, fords cetane improver is incredibly effective.

capt dong

Reaction score
ford cetane boost improved fuel mileage and made my engine quieter and smoother. 4ozs every tank. i ran a gallon of dkleen. lost fuel economy and the noise was back.

ncollins64

Reaction score
I've used the motor craft additive before and like it. Now I buy stanadyne by the case from a Buddy at my local napa store. What's everyone's thoughts on the stanadyne?

swinky

Reaction score
Diesel kleen can suk my bawlz, I've never had a bottle of that chit that didn't leak. Just bought the motor craft stuff today. Put too much in though, shouldn't hurt anything right?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.