Changed Pre-pump Fuel Filter Now No Fuel Pressure

DocBar

Reaction score
Hey guys, I changed my pre-pump fuel filter this morning and now I have no fuel pressure. I had filled the new filter up with diesel but I'm wondering if I burned up my FueLab pump. It's usually fairly noisy. Now it's quiet.

Any one have any ideas? Did I screw up in the way I changed the filter?

Any input is welcome, as always.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Pull the hose off of your post pump filter.

This happens to me all the damn time. Just air locks. Purge some fuel out and she should be good to go

DocBar

Reaction score
Pull the hose off of your post pump filter.

This happens to me all the damn time. Just air locks. Purge some fuel out and she should be good to go
I still have the factory fuel bowl. Would it better to pull it off on the pump side of the fuel bowl or the injector side?

Thanks

EDIT: I loosened up the hose post regulator and it's all good now. 67PSI and holding.

Last edited:

Southmike

Reaction score
Bet that wasfor a few white hairs. Glad you got it fixed.
I'll be tucking that one back into the memory banks.

DocBar

Reaction score
Bet that wasfor a few white hairs. Glad you got it fixed.
I'll be tucking that one back into the memory banks.
Yeah. I still think I screwed up because I ran the truck for a minute or so with no fuel pressure. I hope that's not the case, but it would be a good excuse to put the bigger sticks in. :naughty:

When the weather cools off, I'll do the bowl delete and add the post pump filter by the pump and add the block valves. I might add another valve post-pump filter just to make that job easier. Ain't no way I'm working on a vehicle til October or so. It gets damned hot here in El Centro, Ca.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I crack the first filter open when I change them and let fuel run out into a bucket. Granted Im only on my second set of filters but thats how Ive done it on everything.

DocBar

Reaction score
I crack the first filter open when I change them and let fuel run out into a bucket. Granted Im only on my second set of filters but thats how Ive done it on everything.
This was my 1st time doing it myself. I'm sure we'll both come up with better ways. :pimp:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Im pretty sure what I did is the mode de logique. You can fill the filters but you should still crack something open to prevent an airloc,imo. Some guys dump additive or seafoam into the new filter but I dont think that stuff does jack.

I still give my #1 vote for "best thing you can do to your fuel" to fords cetane booster. Ive got some redline stuff that ken boucherie gave me and im still out on if its.doing anything. Ive changed so much that Im unsure where Im at. Maybe the stealth pump is giving me mileage? I know that the hpo system is probably the best it has EVER been. Maybe the fuel system? I dont "feel" anything there but its quieter.

Wait, Im rambling again. Sorry Doc! Anyway, I think changing your filters once per year is good. Depending on mileage. Im predicting 20-25k per year now so we'll see. My tank was clean so I shouldnt have a ton of junk in there.

Another derail, :doh:, I ran some b25 yesterday. I am used to the tank not.filling well and I ran it right up and overflowed it full. No stopping and waiting. The vent and filler tube mods are excellent! The b25 quieted my injection system quite a bit...it was rather impressive. I left the engine.running and could hear it soften. My wife who doesnt know a nut from a bolt was like "what did you just do?" Plus 40cents.a gallon cheaper! I filled up and have gone 148miles with about 1/8th of the tank gone. This should be pretty impressive hand.calced fuel mileage. Especially for high mileage injectors.

DocBar

Reaction score
Im pretty sure what I did is the mode de logique. You can fill the filters but you should still crack something open to prevent an airloc,imo. Some guys dump additive or seafoam into the new filter but I dont think that stuff does jack.

I still give my #1 vote for "best thing you can do to your fuel" to fords cetane booster. Ive got some redline stuff that ken boucherie gave me and im still out on if its.doing anything. Ive changed so much that Im unsure where Im at. Maybe the stealth pump is giving me mileage? I know that the hpo system is probably the best it has EVER been. Maybe the fuel system? I dont "feel" anything there but its quieter.

Wait, Im rambling again. Sorry Doc! Anyway, I think changing your filters once per year is good. Depending on mileage. Im predicting 20-25k per year now so we'll see. My tank was clean so I shouldnt have a ton of junk in there.

Another derail, :doh:, I ran some b25 yesterday. I am used to the tank not.filling well and I ran it right up and overflowed it full. No stopping and waiting. The vent and filler tube mods are excellent! The b25 quieted my injection system quite a bit...it was rather impressive. I left the engine.running and could hear it soften. My wife who doesnt know a nut from a bolt was like "what did you just do?" Plus 40cents.a gallon cheaper! I filled up and have gone 148miles with about 1/8th of the tank gone. This should be pretty impressive hand.calced fuel mileage. Especially for high mileage injectors.
No worries on the derail. Ramble away.
I agree that your method is the right way to do it. I'm just considering adding a small valve that can let any air out after the post pump filter. Something I can hold closed with a tie wrap.

This is my 2nd filter change and I have right at 40k on the "new" motor, so that fits pretty well with what you said. I'm assuming that DI would've cleaned out any junk in the tank when they dropped it.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yea, I dont see David overlooking that. Or anything else for.that matter.

Its pretty awesome just what a srp and fuel system do. They really maximize injectors. Mine really runs.well with the stealth pump and irate fuel system. Now that my fuel system is in and working with no leaks I love it. Jake did a good job on designing it. Especially if a big dummy like me can put it right together.

Reaction score
Yeah. I still think I screwed up because I ran the truck for a minute or so with no fuel pressure. I hope that's not the case, but it would be a good excuse to put the bigger sticks in. :naughty:

I doubt you messed anything up. I ran my truck about 15 miles without the fuel pump even running awhile back. When I pulled those injectors out earlier this year and took them apart, everything looked to be in perfect shape. No internal problems and they flowed great after installing the new nozzles.

DocBar

Reaction score
I doubt you messed anything up. I ran my truck about 15 miles without the fuel pump even running awhile back. When I pulled those injectors out earlier this year and took them apart, everything looked to be in perfect shape. No internal problems and they flowed great after installing the new nozzles.
The truck is running fine now. I'll be installing the 400/200's in a few weeks and sending the 250/100's off to be gone through. I'm interested to see what shape they are in.

My brother is the luckiest man alive. He's getting my 250/100's, 38R and DI uppies when I go to the GQSSB. Free of freakin charge. Well, I say that. He did go all the way from Houston,Tx to Jackson, TN to help me change head gaskets in the parking lot of an auto zone. And helped me build/install a few motors and trannies. Basically, he taught me everything I know about wrenching. Yeah, I'll still owe him after he gets the goodies.

Latest posts

Members online