Changing from syn, to regular, back to syn

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
Would it "hurt" anything to go from 5w40 syn to a regular oil (15w40) for a while then back to a syn? I'm drilling my oil pan for the drain to my LP turbo (draining it first obvi) then filling it back up. plan to run the new oil for a few hundred miles then change it back to syn. just don't want to spend the extra $$ on syn if I'm only going to run it for a little while to pick up any additional contaminates in oil. any issues there?

Mdub707

Reaction score
I've always heard switching back and forth could cause some weird gumming issues if the oils are different, but I've seen nothing to prove it. I would do exactly what you're planning to do myself. No point wasting the money on syn if you're going to drain it shortly after.

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
I've always heard switching back and forth could cause some weird gumming issues if the oils are different, but I've seen nothing to prove it. I would do exactly what you're planning to do myself. No point wasting the money on syn if you're going to drain it shortly after.

yeah that what I was wondering....how the residual from the syn would interact with the regular.

Mdub707

Reaction score
A lot of us have switched from regular oil to synthetic... I'd say as long as you're not doing over and over and over it's probably fine. Might not hurt to reach out and call the manufacturer of the oil you plan on using though, they'd know more than anyone I would think.

Latest posts

Members online