Coolant bottle pressure

Buellstunter

Reaction score
Quick question about cooling system pressure. My truck is studded and deleted along with a few more minor mods. All was done around 3000 miles ago. Was towing 3 dirt bikes and two 4 wheelers a week ago. I pulled a big hill and the truck puked about 3/4 of a gallon of coolant. Now I did have coolant level at the top line of the bottle. Was watching the dash gauges all along. And the gauge was holding 1/2 all day and it shot straight to hot with no warning. Long story short refilled and finished the weekend with no more issue. Put a gauge inline from top of rad. To coolant bottle. After 1/2 hr idling I had like 2 psi on the gauge. Took it for a small drive about 4 miles and it hit 6 psi. And was only boosting at 20psi max at any point. Drove it today about 40 miles and it hit 9psi. After the drive. Left it idle about 5 min and it dropped back to 5psi. Does it sound like gaskets are going out again?
Thanks in advance.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
The line on top of the radiator is a return. It's going to fluctuate. What cap do you have on your bottle? I've always been told that you never want to fill the bottle to max fill because it will puke.

When's the last time you did an oil cooler job? Still have the egr cooler intact?

Gary

Reaction score
:whs: Yeah, your pressure is ok, I've seen them hit 15+ psi in just a few hundred feet of driving

Buellstunter

Reaction score
Believe it's the stock 05 cap. I've only had the truck a month. It does have the complete EGR delete. And since then I've kept the coolant bottle at the lower line and no more puking. Just not sure what acceptable pressures are for the system. I do need to do something with the oil cooler. My deltas are bad and am gonna try a good flush. And see if I can prolong it a bit since I just bought the truck. Don't have a lot of extra $$ right now.

Last edited:

Gary

Reaction score
My deltas are bad and am gonna try a good flush

If it is plugged, I don't think you'll see any difference. If you ever cut a plugged oil cooler in half and try to flow water though it you'll see what I mean, it ain't gonna happen.

04stroker

Reaction score
Going off memory Mike I think you have a PMM kit or flo pro but don't remember exactly. Also I think your overheat issue may be a fan clutch since you told me the fan never engaged even when the temp gauge shot up. Oil cooler was replaced with a Ford cooler and system flushed when we did the job but that motor was really nasty.

I tried to get rusty to let me Dissasemble the block and clean everything and surface the block because the deck on the block was in poor shape. He declined though and told me to put it back together with the studs and so fourth.

Last edited:

Buellstunter

Reaction score
Thanks Rykan! You got to remember he also told me that you did the block and took it .030 over and "o" ringed the heads along with some other stuff. I almost forgot the upgraded turbo parts that were put in too. And I too wish he would have left you do it like you wanted to. Guess well just have to hope they hold up. It is what it is though, To late now. Wish I was closer to you guys I'd just have u do it your way and have the piece of mind. And replacing the fan clutch as soon as I return from vacation.

Last edited:

04stroker

Reaction score
Thanks Rykan! You got to remember he also told me that you did the block and took it .030 over and "o" ringed the heads along with some other stuff. I almost forgot the upgraded turbo parts that were put in too. And I too wish he would have left you do it like you wanted to. Guess well just have to hope they hold up. It is what it is though, To late now. Wish I was closer to you guys I'd just have u do it your way and have the piece of mind. And replacing the fan clutch as soon as I return from vacation.

Sounds good man. Yea you saw the invoice there was no block work or O ringed heads done. Lol

Buellstunter

Reaction score
Sure did, Got a copy of it too! Live n learn. Cause I sure learned now that that's not part of the "bulletproof package". Some people will tell you anything though!

Buellstunter

Reaction score
well I finally got the time to do some work on the truck. seems to have made some improvement on things. I replaced the fan clutch cause I was getting a fan speed sensor fault and thought this might help cool things better, and my deltas were about 40deg apart . Was running about 197ECT and 241EOT on the highway @ 70mph no load. I did a cheap flush of the system with some prestone flush from the parts store cause I couldn't find anyone local to get restore or restore+. and needed to take it on a 500 mile trip this weekend.. I drained the cooling system and removed the upper and lower rad hoses. I also removed the thermostat so I could replace it as well. pulled the cover plate off the oil cooler and back flushed the cooler out with the garden hose and a little compressed air. after that I put a little lime away/water mix directly in the cooler and left it soak for about 3-5 min..I then thoroughly back flushed the system again for about 10-15 min till nothing but clear water came out. I then put the lower rad hose back on the truck and started re-filling the cooling system I put 3 gallons of straight coolant in the truck through the thermostat housing and then replaced the thermostat. I topped off the system through the degas bottle with about another gallon of water. ran the truck up the road and all seemed well except my ECT temp now was around 192 deg..I figured its that high cause the ambient temp outside was about 98deg. so I drove it on the trip and going down the highway at 70mph my temps were running ECT196-198 and my EOT209-212. so the spread between the 2 seems way better however the ECT seems to be higher now than it was before all the work was done. Drove it all day today around town and my ECT stays about 192 and my EOT stays 205. around town I used to see some ECT temps at about 180 and EOTs about 208. still not sure why the coolant temps are so high now all the time.

Buellstunter

Reaction score
I have something that may work but you will need to change out EGR kits.

Change ou the EGR delete kit?

@swinky. I'm monitoring with an edge evolution CTS.

@KBMKVIII. With the egr delete I have there is a plate over the back hole of the oil cooler. It's at the back of the oil filter housing.

Latest posts

Members online