coolant flush ? involving Restore and t-stat

dasboot

Reaction score
flushing radiator

how much Restore cleaner out of 1 gal do you use?
and

How do you remove the t-stat to flush before installing a new one if the t-stat is built in to the housing top? Cut or drill it out?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
might as well just pick up a new t-stat. You can remove it, but you have to get a new gasket anyway... You turn it and it pops out

I usually use half a gallon, than the rest pure distilled water. **** takes forever to get out. Pull block drain too on driver side. 8MM allen.

SaNnDnSurF

Reaction score
Is there any risk of plugging a new oil cooler with the restore? Thought I read somewhere someone did, whered you buy the restore at?

dasboot

Reaction score
@CTC Deezul
I do have a brand new one. When I got it I realized that it was all together. I figured the whole gal might be too much.

@SaNnDnSurf
I work www.apalacheerv.com we do service and repair. After learning about Restore and Restore Plus from the PSD forum sites , I got it for when we do flushes in the bigger diesel pushers. Lots of Cummins ISL engines, navistar, CAT and detroit. We use 1/2 gal or more on those. I wasn't sure how much in my 6.0L. Anyways I get it from Cummmins Power South. We have a dealer account. I got a case of each. The best thing is that you can charge out a whole gallon and if you have left overs save or your self.

Atsah

Reaction score
Is there any risk of plugging a new oil cooler with the restore? Thought I read somewhere someone did, whered you buy the restore at?

I read that as well.. I use WYNN'S every 50K and it seems to work for me..

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I dont really ever believe in plugging a new oil cooler.... I change them, drain the block and everything else. add a temporary coolant filter than flush them....

FirstSixOh

Reaction score
This lesson learned cost me a lot of money, and it's not done yet. I bought my first diesel, a 2007 6.0L, a month ago. I quickly discovered there was no antifreeze in the coolant. It was water and a little rust. It was analyzed, so I am sure of that. I have now come to believe that rust, and rust alone, if suspended in your coolant system, can plug up a hairline crack in an EGR cooler. I bought 100 bucks worth of Delo ELC and 70 bucks for Restore and Restore Plus. I did the flushes, taking a full day and 33 gallons of distilled water. Installed the Delo to 50%. The very next day the truck developed a coolant leak somewhere in the valley. The Ford garage charged me $432 labor to replace the little orange EGR cooler hose. Still leaking the next day. Ford garage diagnosed a hairline crack in the EGR cooler. This time I am buying parts and doing the work myself, starting Monday. Bulletproof EGR cooler and factory oil cooler. Yesterday I watched internet videos for most of the day, making a written procedure fr doing this.

dasboot

Reaction score
@firstsixoh
:doh:
now your scaring me. I'm sure this might have been an isolated incident. A chance I will have to take. Why did you use both chemicals?
I was just thinking the Restore plus to clean out any silicates or gelling (not saying I have this issue.) Maybe I should use both too. How dirty was yours when you cleaned it?

FirstSixOh

Reaction score
Use the Restore to clean the jelly-like residue from the old Ford Gold coolant. Then use Restore Plus to clean out the rust. I used a half gallon of each, with plenty of rinsing with pure distilled water between flushes. I did not change thermostats because my temp was good and it wasn't leaking. I did not pull the block drians because they were not leaking. It takes a lot of water and a lot of time to get it to drain clear, but mine was clean after 10 drains, then I did one more and filled with pure Delo ELC for a 50% final ratio. When I do the EGR cooler and oil cooler next week, I will be saving that expensive Delo in clean buckets. I haven't decided yet, but I may put Fumoto nipple type valves in both block drains, and just leave hoses atttached. OTOH, Delo is rated at 600,000 miles, so I may be installing drain valves I will never use, at least not for changing coolant. There are many other reasons for draining the coolant.

Latest posts

Members online