coolant leak

joshyz125

Reaction score
Hey guys, i'm new to the 6.0, I have been driving my truck for a few weeks after having some work done to it. EGR Delete, oil cooler and so on. today I look outside and i noticed a puddle, so i go outside to find it's dripping a lot of anti freeze. It's coming down the front of the motor. I have looked at this thing for 2 hours with a flash light. I can't find the leak. It does not appear to be the The metal Heater hose Tube o ring. and although you can't see much of it, i didn't see anything coming from around the big o ring under the intake. the valley does not have anti freeze in it. The upper radiator hose and thermostat housing do not appear to be wet. What else is under the intake on the driver side that could be leaking down the front?

webb06

Reaction score
its not leaking around the egr delete plate is it? be hard for it to run down the drivers side from there but could happen i guess. you really need to pressurize the cooling system and you will be able to find the leak really quick

joshyz125

Reaction score
it was pressurized, it was leaking good, i can't find it, i've laid under it, laid on top of the motor, i've looked in every nook i can find, i can't see where it's coming from. I double checked the egr delete bolts, they were tight. I am wondering if it's leaking on the side of the Big o ring that i can't see, i just don't have a lot of wrenching time on these motors to remember what else is under there

Gary

Reaction score
Sometimes you have to pressurize the cooling system and start taking it apart so you can see it better. You have to find whats leaking to fix it.

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
O ring/donut between the front cover and intake. Betcha there's two there by accident, since the intake was just off for your delete.

joshyz125

Reaction score
it ended up being the Water pump, you can't see the lower weep hole very easily

youngstroker

Reaction score
how hard was it to do the pump, mine is leaking, just wondering how big of a pita it is.

webb06

Reaction score
how hard was it to do the pump, mine is leaking, just wondering how big of a pita it is.

drain coolant, remove radiator, remove fan, and fan shroud. remove belt. then remove water pump. not to bad but the transmission cooler lines on the radiator can be a real pain sometimes. depends on the year though. the early 6.0's have a threaded connection whereas the later model has a snap to connect fitting and it requires a special tool and can be a real pain to get out.

Latest posts

Members online