Crank sensor

rjustman

Reaction score
I'm looking for someone that can help me understand how the camshaft position sensor works on the 6.0 diesels..is there a tone ring on the cam? Are their holes in the cam gear that the sensor picks up on like the crank pulley on the older dodges? How does is work..what does it see or look for..

Reason behind my question is I'm re doing a Cummins swap and have heard keeping all the ford sensor will dramatically improve tuning for the trans..and as I have heard of a few people using the stock ford camshaft position sensor and somehow rigging it on the the Cummins cam shaft to read I can not get anyone to share info..so if I can figure out how it works and reads,maybe I can come up with something on my own.

Thanks

Richard

pdumont01

Reaction score
There is a circular peg pressed into the end of the camshaft and the sensor picks up each revolution when the peg passes the sensor.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Twinboys

Reaction score
It is my impression that the crank sensor is only used when the vehicle is starting. The computer verifies that the crank and cam are in sync and if so, allows the initial firing of the engine. All other times it is ignored. This may affect what you decide to do with it.

pdumont01

Reaction score
He is talking about the cam sensor I thought

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

rjustman

Reaction score
Yeah I'm refering to the cam sensor..how it functions,gets its readings,air gap,everything I can find out about it..thanks

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.