cross member help

patoka7.3

Reaction score
okay guys i got a 2000 f250 4 door short bed 7.3 it was converted to a 5 speed from an auto. i have a crossmember under my trans but i didnt know if there should be one under my transfercase.... it seems like i have a ton of driveshaft and trans hop if i press the clutch fast or get driving threw bumps and stuff i need help.

hwrdbd

Reaction score
My e99 eclb just has a crossmember under the rear of trans. Tcase isn't that much weight. Can you describe what you're experiencing a little better? I'm not sure what you mean when you're talking about driving through bumps and what its causing.
Maybe you're experiencing driveline slop? Checked your u joints?

patoka7.3

Reaction score
hoppin

Like when im driving down a bumpy road i can feel something shaking and hitting the underside of the cab it sounds like. The whole trans moves the shifter and everything in the cab moves back and fourth and all around

hwrdbd

Reaction score
Well the shifter on my truck does shake around a bit, but nothing that I would deem unreasonable. Also not something I really notice on bumpy roads. Based on what you're describing I would be looking for possible broken motor mounts and make sure that the tranny is bolted to crossmember securely, also that crossmember is bolted to frame securely.
edit- noises that sound like something hitting cab can come from bad sway bar end links

patoka7.3

Reaction score
i just replaced the clutch over the weekend so i know for sure that the cross member is now well tightened down, and the trans is well tight to the cross memeber all of the u-joints are fairly new. i know i need a rear pinion bearing here soon, now question on the motor mounts. whats a good way to check to see if there bad and whats the best way to replace them

hwrdbd

Reaction score
Well to check them... I would think you could try hooking a hoist to the engine, then having someone slowly and carefully raise it you could watch the mounts for excessive movement. I'm no expert here, that is just my best guess.