Cylinder head differences?

DZL JIM

Reaction score
Any major differences in the heads from '04 vs '05?
I have '05 truck and am looking at a set of heads from '04 to get worked on (to swap when studs go in) and need to know if there's any reason not to get them?

Thanks.

Mdub707

Reaction score
There are differences, you can use any year head on any year truck, if you have the corresponding parts. The 18mm dowels were the earlier design and the 20mm dowels were later design. Anything that went in for warranty work after a certain date got 20mm dowel heads/gaskets. You need the corresponding gaskets. 18mm heads use a smaller injector hold down too, T-40, instead of the newer T-45 sized one's. Rocker boxes must match too.

Typically an 04 and an 05 would have had 18mm heads, but if they were replaced by Ford at some point, you will want to make sure. Just ask if they're 18mm or 20mm.

DZL JIM

Reaction score
Ok, so if they have 18mm dowels then the rocker boxes and injector hold-downs will match mine in the '05?

I'm pretty sure that my '05 never had any of that kind of work done. But I can't say that for 100% certain. Only had one previous owner and he said nothing major was ever done to the truck.

Thanks.

PSM_Kid

Reaction score
Any major differences in the heads from '04 vs '05?
I have '05 truck and am looking at a set of heads from '04 to get worked on (to swap when studs go in) and need to know if there's any reason not to get them?

Thanks.

No and if the heads were remanufactured and had the 20mm dowels, you could still use them with the stepped dowel pins that come with the head gaskets. If the heads you bought have 20mm dowels you will need 2 6C3Z-6051-AA head gaskets. If they are 18mm you will need 2 4C3Z-6051-EB head gaskets.

As stated above if they were late build (anything after 1/11/06) you would need the rocker carriers/boxes and injector hold downs. The late build hold downs for the injectors are t-45 and the dowels on the late build rocker carrier/box won't match/mate to early built heads.

Mdub707

Reaction score
You could always have an oasis report run to see if the heads have been done under warranty at all... Based on the time it was done you could see if they are 18mm or 20mm... if no head work was done, you'd have 18mm heads/block.

DZL JIM

Reaction score
You could always have an oasis report run to see if the heads have been done under warranty at all... Based on the time it was done you could see if they are 18mm or 20mm... if no head work was done, you'd have 18mm heads/block.

On my truck, yes that would work.
But on the parts motor there's no way to tell, no VIN.

Thanks.

Agjake11

Reaction score
Was just about to ask this same question but the other way around. so theres no down side to going from my early 04 18mm dowel heads to some 20mm ones off an 06. found a pair off a running truck that was wrecked would like to get them and have them machined and ready to go when i do studs. i would only need the stepper downs and injector holds correct. i can use the same injectors.

now school me on the rocker box (newb to dis)

Extended Power

Reaction score
The glow plug harnesses are different. Early heads have a bussbar, newer heads have wire plug hardness style.
Different hpo rails...early years are straight, newer are wavy style.
Different valve covers as well because of relocated sensor on passenger side and ccv filter on drivers side.

Agjake11

Reaction score
So it seems like a lot more work than good really?

Have a lead on some 18mm ones also so I might just stick to those

PSM_Kid

Reaction score
So it seems like a lot more work than good really?

Have a lead on some 18mm ones also so I might just stick to those

To make the switch on yours you would need more than the rocker boxes/carriers and injector hold downs. Since yours is an early 04, you would also need to change your 03/early 04 style branch tube (which would require pulling the transmission to get the rear cover off and taking off other stuff) to a late 04 style and find some late build oil rails.

So yes its more work than good. A lot more work. But any 18mm dowel head will work.

Worstenemy453

Reaction score
I just bought some heads from Odessa Cylinder Head in FL for a Customer. Absolutely the best job i have seen on a head. $550 per, no core charge, they pay shipping for you to return the cores, and they pay shipping to you.

Latest posts

Members online