Dead in the water

HeavyT

Reaction score
So, Monday my wife drove our 2012 F250 to work. She had done an auto start to warm it up before taking the little one to daycare then proceeded to work (30 miles away) she said everything was fine no issues on the way. When she came out after work her key FOB wouldn't work and the truck wouldn't start. Checked batteries they were fine. Truck would not start and would not move (can't even shift out of park) have power to the mirrors and the seats and the backlight for dash gauges only was on.

Had the thing towed to the dealership and they are saying it is the "smart junction box". Basically rewording a section of the truck. Dealership is covering it under the extended warranty.

My question is has anyone else had this happen? I had a car with electrical problem before and I know that they are a bear once they develop, should I look at getting a left over 14 or a new 15?

Str8Ugly

Reaction score
everything has flukes from time to time, hell my navigation screen wouldnt let my cell phone connect to it one day, undid the batteries for a hour put em back on bam fixed, no issues

Wildman

Reaction score
Your dealer is incorrect.

Your vehicle is not equipped with a Smart Junction Box (SJB). It is equipped with a Body Control Module (BCM), which controls the majority of vehicle functions from starting all the way to vehicle lighting.

The problem is your aftermarket remote start system. The aftermarket kits hack into the BCM wiring, which causes damage to the module. These kits are also often installed using scotch locks, which are one of the worst inventions in the history of electrical wiring.

Once the internal logic of the module is damaged, it will no longer function. This results in the majority of the electrical functions of the vehicle being inoperative.

The best thing you can do is have that junk aftermarket system removed, repair the damaged circuits, and then have a Ford OE kit installed by the dealer. The OE kit works WITH the BCM through programming, instead of hacking the BCM through bypassing circuits.

HeavyT

Reaction score
The auto start is an OE kit that was on the truck when purchased with 4 miles in the odo,not a cheap aftermarket so I know that is not the issue! I am thinking the quality of these trucks is decreasing with the more electronics they pile on!

Wildman

Reaction score
The auto start is an OE kit that was on the truck when purchased with 4 miles in the odo,not a cheap aftermarket so I know that is not the issue! I am thinking the quality of these trucks is decreasing with the more electronics they pile on!

Good call on gettin the OE kit. If nothing aftermarket is tied into the vehicle's electrical system, suspect it was just a bad Body Control Module (BCM). Although not common, they can fail occasionally just like any electronic component.

vcassens

Reaction score
I know it is not the same truck buy on my last truck (04 6.0L) I had to have the central junction box replaced but the only problem with it was I didn't have any running lights,break lights, or dash lights only head lights. After that was replaced I never had another problem with it.