Difference between 2wd and 4wd 4R100

PABowhunter

Reaction score
What are the differences between the 2wd and 4wd 4R100's? Is it possible to swap a trans out of a 2wd truck into a 4wd truck?

I ask because my dad is selling is 2wd 450 with a fairly new BTS. Looking at pulling the trans since he won't get his money back out of it.

Strokersace

Reaction score
My understanding is the tail housing and output shaft are the difference. The only problem is, to swap output shafts, you have to completely disassemble the trans front to back.

JMart

Reaction score
My understanding is the tail housing and output shaft are the difference. The only problem is, to swap output shafts, you have to completely disassemble the trans front to back.

:whs:

I discovered this when I was going to trade my shorty 2wd for a 4wd. He had and wanted to keep his BTS. Deal fell through for this reason.

dsberman94

Reaction score
I remember reading that there is a transfer case that you can put on the back of a 2wd 4Runner and it will work. I'll have to ask my buddy in a little bit what it is since he's going to be doing it in an 80s style ford that there's a 2wd van 7.3 going into with the tc to make it 4wd

JMart

Reaction score
I remember reading that there is a transfer case that you can put on the back of a 2wd 4Runner and it will work. I'll have to ask my buddy in a little bit what it is since he's going to be doing it in an 80s style ford that there's a 2wd van 7.3 going into with the tc to make it 4wd

Its called a divorced transfer case. In the op's case it would require buying a new transfer case and shortening his drive shaft. It would probably be cheaper to have a shop swap out the required parts.

PABowhunter

Reaction score
I guess the best bet is to take both transmissions and just swap all the internals

dsberman94

Reaction score
Its called a divorced transfer case. In the op's case it would require buying a new transfer case and shortening his drive shaft. It would probably be cheaper to have a shop swap out the required parts.

Yup, you're absolutely right. The way he first described it to me it sounded like it just bolted on like the normal 4wd one did. My mistake, carry on.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.