DIY traction bars

Powerstroker7.3

Reaction score
I am sure a thread has already been made about traction bars, but I was wondering if anyone knew where to get some decently priced ball joints for a traction bar setup. I already have a place to get the metal. im just trying to find somewhere to get the ball joints for a fair price.

m j

Reaction score
Johnny Joint is a Currie item,
the ripoff by Trail Gear is a creeper joint isnt it?

assuming you are going for the cheap bars on each side and not a ladder bar in the center design
I think the original cartridge that you would use at the axle end is $40 and the adjustable will require a threaded adapter in addition to the joints

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/johnnyjoints.aspx

Last edited:

Powerstroker7.3

Reaction score
I'm trying to find some affordable joints. Those Jonny joints and trail gear are 45 dollars a piece. Ballistic fabs are around 35. I'm looking for around 25 a piece

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

njjeep

Reaction score
Try RuffStuff they have 20% off right now until Monday too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skill_Kills

Reaction score
DONT go with Ballistic Fab. I waited over a month to get my traction bar bushings. and the order before that i had to wait 2 months to get the parts for my radius arms. Unless you plan on making these after thanksgiving I wouldnt go with them.

Id try RuffStuff

wideroad

Reaction score
+1 on RuffStuff Specialties.

I've used a lot of their products in the process of building my trail rig and have been please with the prices and quality of their products.

Derkperk

Reaction score
DONT go with Ballistic Fab. I waited over a month to get my traction bar bushings. and the order before that i had to wait 2 months to get the parts for my radius arms. Unless you plan on making these after thanksgiving I wouldnt go with them.

Id try RuffStuff

Never have had a problem with any product, shipping or customer service with ballistic. A+ from me. I made a phone order one time and the gal f'd it up. Not only did they send the correct tabs but included a t shirt and didn't have to send the wrong one back.

And just like durflinger said, you do get what you pay for.

emev0l

Reaction score
Another vote against Ballistic, great products but they ship your parts when they feel like it, they should NOT sell direct, they're good at what they do but can't handle the business end.

Ruffstuff should be your go to place.

m j

Reaction score
Dan at Ruffstuff is awesome. even knows the best ways to ship to Canada.
everyone I know that has ordered from Ballistic has had deliver issues
Ballistic got banned from Pirate for their consistent poor service

Skill_Kills

Reaction score
Ballistic products are definitely worth the money. I love the parts i got from them but waiting a total of 3 months between 2 orders ruined it for me. It took 40 days for them to get me 4 DOM sleeves and bushings, axle brackets, a winch plate, and 12 tabs. All but the winch plate were for my traction bars. Ordered a front bumper/winch plate, and custom bent tubes for my roll cage on the jeep from AtoZfab and it came in 4 days.
Not to say they're really bad, but its really hit or miss from what ive experienced and read. Buyer beware I guess. They do have some killer brackets in bigger/different sizes and options but for simple heim joints there's multiple places id rather go, and as m j noted they've been banned from forums for poor service

m j

Reaction score
I think Artec is the most innovative stuff last I looked. the stuff people are coming out with just keeps getting better and better

hwrdbd

Reaction score
I got some Ballistic ends from another member on here, ordered the couple threaded tubing adapters I needed from their website and received them in the appropriate time. Nice pieces.

little luke

Reaction score
Ballistic fabrication, first off the parts seem to be great quality from what ive seen. Second, don't be in a hurry to get your parts. I had a boy want me to build a set of bars for a dirt drag. I had 4 weeks notice plus he wanted to have then sent off and powdercoated. Claimed 48hr shipping. So plenty of time. I even ordered the brackets from them to make sure I got the boy finished up quickly. The 3" end links were on back order for 7 days. No big deal still gave me two Sundays to build them. Week two, nothing. End of week three on a Friday I call because it was the last Sunday I had to build them. Was told they just got the parts back in stock and will ship on Monday. Well this put me in a bind. Monday at 4:00 I never received a confirmation email. I call and I'm told to give it 30 minutes and ill get an email. 4:55 I make a call to my black smith and tell him to get me a sheet of 1/4" plate set out for me as I'm convinced I'm gonna have to build the mounts and hunt down new endlinks the next day. 2 hrs later I finally got a confirmation email. Parts arrived wed afternoon. Pretty much went from "plenty of time" to 2 nights after working 14 hr days. I painted the bars for him since he couldnt get them coated before the race and installed the stack for free to make up for taking so long. I will be building all brackets in house from now on and I'm looking at other companies for endlinks for the rest of the orders

Attachments

• WP_20140919_00_58_24_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140919_00_58_24_Pro.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 90
  • WP_20140918_06_51_46_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140918_06_51_46_Pro.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 99

Rupp250

Reaction score
I would not spend $1 dollar with Ballistic Fab.

Google-BALLISTIC FABRICATION PIRATE4X4

And do a little reading.

I also ordered all my stuff from Dan @ Ruff Stuff. Great quality. I know several high end shops out here in Cali that use them for KOH cars. None that use Ballistic crap.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online