Dorman Valve cover gaskets... And anything that doesn't look factory stay away from..

Reaction score
Had a 2002 F350 I was working on, had damn near brand new valve cover gaskets, injectors, glow plugs ect, all done 50,000 miles ago by previous owner that new owner had bought the truck from. Owner sold truck with 382,000 figuring the dead miss was engine damage and got what he could out of it.. Clean rust free CCLB 4x4 dually that was spotless.. Basically a truck that pulled horse trailers. I removed valve cover, Couldn't find a rub spot, any melted connectors, had to break connector at valve cover area part and found one wire had melted through the sealant they used to keep the wires seperate.. This had to be a Dorman product, or a product of Chinese vintage.. I had seen this before but wasn't positive.. Told the owner he could try a new gasket and harness or order the injectors that the truck was throwing contribution codes for, and start there.. We swapped harnesses real quick and miss went away.. I wish I knew the shop that had performed the work because this was pathetic. I've found that thee only brand that builds the harnesses like International did is Alliant.. Or buy them from International themselves.. Last set of harnesses a customer brought me to install from Ford I pulled them out of the package, flipped them over and they said "made in China".. I said take them back I'm not doing this twice, picked up some Alliants from Full Force locally, haven't seen the truck in almost a year and a half. I wrote this to inform that these Chinese harnesses fail in different ways due to inferior product construction.. I just want the youth of this community to see the difference in what to look for when it comes to making not just modifications but standard repairs.

78f100

Reaction score
I usually don't like dorman stuff either, I use a few of thier products with good results. I have used some of thier 7.3 valve cover gaskets in a pinch with good luck. When I have used them I change the pigtail and solder the wires. The pigtail they come with fits the gasket better than the factory pigtail. I wondered if some of the problem with them is when people leave the factory harness to the dorman gasket. I kinda like that there is no inner harness on the dorman gaskets, so one less place to have a bad connection. With that said I keep the motorcraft gaskets on the shelf and try to use them on most jobs. It does get pricy to replace inner harness, gaskets, and outer harness with oem stuff.

mandkole

Reaction score
Ford OEM branding with made in China? damn..

The Ford and International parts marketing guys need to be reading these forums if they want to keep business. Especially for electrical parts. They have solid supply bases, but often get lured by the offshore parts suppliers with low prices trying to compete for a shrinking piece of a legacy engine market. Most of the OEM program suppliers have a parts support requirement of about 15 years, so if they aren't seeing it as good business, they'll jump the first chance they get.

TyCorr

Reaction score
My last set of uvch from alliant said "made in china" on them. I posted it up here for all to see...

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
I have seen A LOT of issues with Dorman VC gaskets. It seems like once a day I run into a situation where faulty Dorman gaskets are the cause of the problem. Almost as bad as aftermarket CPS's...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.