dose anyone use back pressure gauges

steele86

Reaction score
i saw video on you tube about turbo boost vs back pressure and im trying to fine out more info about it. and do i need to setup one or not? what one to i need to look at back pressure or drive pressure here the site Switchbladeturbo .com

Last edited:

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I ran a back pressure gauge right beside my boost gauge on the dash of the pulling truck - and my Dmax has atmosphere boost, total boost, total back pressure, and atmosphere back pressure.

Its really only good for dialing in a turbo, or a wastegate, or diagnosing problems - the rest of the time its just a gauge that moves that you get to ignore. I use standard boost gauges with a few feet of copper line - coiled up for heat dissipation - then connected right up to standard nylon boost line.

steele86

Reaction score
then do i really need one?
i still running the stock turbo with the ats housing and a ts diy intake 4" exhaust and bd intercooler. but changing the turbo out for a 38r w/ 1.0 so i can run a exhaust brake and the sage 2 injetor. im trying to get a good 350hr out of her. i think i'm on the right track to get it.

neverkickn

Reaction score
then do i really need one?
i still running the stock turbo with the ats housing and a ts diy intake 4" exhaust and bd intercooler. but changing the turbo out for a 38r w/ 1.0 so i can run a exhaust brake and the sage 2 injetor. im trying to get a good 350hr out of her. i think i'm on the right track to get it.

Sorry for the derail but would you sell your ats housing?

V-Ref

Reaction score
Its really only good for dialing in a turbo, or a wastegate, or diagnosing problems - the rest of the time its just a gauge that moves that you get to ignore. I use standard boost gauges with a few feet of copper line - coiled up for heat dissipation - then connected right up to standard nylon boost line.

:whs:

$76 drive pressure gauge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=luAmTv3Ko8Y

Be sure to post up your findings if you decide to install one. Lots of folks on here would be interested in your results.

steele86

Reaction score
never thought to do it that way. i thought i had to come off the exhaust i'll look in to that some more.
but do i really need it if i'm just running a38r turbo

TARM

Reaction score
Yes IMO you absolutely need one. But you do not need one permanently. Without one you have zero idea at what boost pressure you are going past 1:1 or whatever ratio or just how high your drive pressure is. If you are trying to setup your waste gate which more of us IMO should run. But once it setup and you know what pressure ratios are what......... If you are one that is always changing things and likes to tinker then its good to have all the time and frankly does not hurt anything so why not once you have it setup.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I have a back pressure gauge installed all the time, along with 16 others...LOL

Its a good gauge to know what is going on, when changing turbo set ups, and can help with diagnostics when running into issues.

2992334330100112691S600x600Q85.jpg

Latest posts

Members online