Dropping fuel mileage

Short Bus

Reaction score
New the truck got 12-13 pulling my 5th wheel and 18-19 on the hwy. now it's getting 9-10 towing camper and 14-15 hwy with 4000 miles on it. It seems like its cleaning Dpf more and more often. Runs good just burns a lot of fuel. Is there anything I can check before I take it to ford? I have a snap on scanner that is current if that helps any.

RedRice589

Reaction score
Sounds like it is running weird or you don't do enough highway driving mine might clean ever y 250 miles less when I'm in town a lot but very little when towing. Maybe twice every thousand miles.

Short Bus

Reaction score
I have been pulling my camper a lot lately, 50-100 miles each way. However I do generally let the truck idle when I get fuel or stop for a drink since the dogs are always with me. I just didn't think 5 min or idle time here or there would hammer my mileage that bad.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Delete that thing and be done with it Luke! The first time I had to buy urea was enough to convince me!

Mine did the same thing. Deleted and on long trips to Pa and back it honestly gets between 20.5 and 21.5. With 5 over the speed limit.

Short Bus

Reaction score
I'm thinking about it, but I hate to do that and lose the warranty. Knowing my luck it will blow up 5 miles after I delete it lol

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
I noticed my mileage went down a little too and I am approaching 5k miles. I attributed it to more idle time and I'm towing my trailer a little more. Temperature is changing also here so I figure that has something to do with it.

03-Blue-Powerstroke

Reaction score
My truck is the opposite, it's getting better. I just hit 4000 miles and Im up to 18mpg average so far. I don't idle it for more than a minute though.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I'm thinking about it, but I hate to do that and lose the warranty. Knowing my luck it will blow up 5 miles after I delete it lol

Im the same way. I've been happy with mine and like others seams the longer I go the better it gets. Hopefully it's a change in fuel or something silly

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Maybe since the farmers alminac predicted a strong cold winter they already put out winter blend! Lol. -- just delete it! Won't regret it... It runs SO much smoother!

Short Bus

Reaction score
I called my vendor and asked that they put my name on an unlocked tuner if they get one. Won't delete unless mileage keeps dropping, just want to get one bought while I still can.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I granny mine around. Even deleted. I figured what the heck. Just get it over with and be done. I had a windshield "howling" problem the dealer refused to fix so after that I said whatever and deleted it... Fixed the windshield myself and moved on.

My wife goes and gets groceries for me and my boy in it... I didn't want anymore phonecalls asking if its ok to shut the truck off because it just started a regen! Haha. Took care of that problem straitway.

deerezilla

Reaction score
I know what you mean Luke I just got my 2014 last week. I don't like the regen thing only has 400 miles on it. I did change the oil to Schaffers 9000 5w40 and filled it up the first time with diesel treat maybe that will help with mpg

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I know what you mean Luke I just got my 2014 last week. I don't like the regen thing only has 400 miles on it. I did change the oil to Schaffers 9000 5w40 and filled it up the first time with diesel treat maybe that will help with mpg

youll have fuel contamination in the oil... as with any DPF engine. Might as well get rid of the problem STRAITWAY!! :puke:

Dzchey21

Reaction score

These things don't regen nearly like the 6.4s did 400 miles is pretty good, 6.4s will regen about every 100 miles.

Also 6.7s dont fuel dilute like 6.4s. I sample my 6.7 and its never come back with anything over 1% fuel dilution (6.4s have 5% pretty normal)

My main concern would be egr anyway as its hard on cylinders ect. but that being said bone stock 6.7s are lasting 250k miles plus with little to no issues stock. I cant say a tuned and abused one will do that or not

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
5400 miles and I just got 395 miles out of a tank when I'm used to 450+ every other time. Highway driving went down some, so maybe its just because I'm doing more city driving?

powerstrokin15

Reaction score
my dads 6.7s mpg are dropping lately too. he's deleted. got like 9mpg towing this weekend. which I way lower than normal. I think winter blend hit us early this year

Eric@HoldersDiesel

Short Bus

Reaction score
Got an a exhaust and tuner.... I feel like a kid on the night before Christmas thank god fall harvest is here and I'm too busy to *** with it. I will keep my warranty for another month or so lol

Latest posts

Members online