Dual Disk Engangement Issues

Reaction score
Running a feramic 3850 Valair. Have terrible engagement issues probably 1000 miles on the clutch. It will start engaging 1/4 of the way off the floor 1/2 off the floor will disengage then at 3/4 start engaging again. Its random it will work fine occasionally. but for the most part is down right terrible to drive. Also truck shut off on a 45 incline you can push the clutch in you cannot i mean cannot get it out of gear and it will not coast back with no e brake, start the truck then it will disengage. Frustrated... any ideas thanks guys really appreciate any advice.

Dieselfever

Reaction score
Should have lubed up your input shaft when you installed it. What is happening is the surface of the pressure plate is going in to clamp the discs and one of the discs is binding on the shaft and partially engaging then popping loose and disengaging until you let it out the rest of the way. There is more clearance in a single disc clutch when they are disengaged so they normally won't do that.

As for the stuck in gear issue, you need to wear it down some more. Your Back to the "less clearance when disengaged" issue. Both of my dual discs were very hard to put in gear with the truck running when first installed, What might help is put it in gear and hold the clutch pedal all the way down, start it up and keep the pedal down, then bring the RPMs up around 2000-2500 for a little while. Your essentially removing some friction material from the discs and adding clearance so the discs won't bind to the machined surfaces.

Or just drive normal until it wears itself down like they eventually do

Reaction score
the instruction specifically said not to lube. but maybe i could use something that would fly of like a dry lube. thanks for the input. and when it does engage normal at least 3/4 of the way at till it starts engaging.

Stroker#66

Reaction score
Don't lube your input shaft unless it's with wd40 or similar lube. Don't use grease vaca use it will fling out on to the clutch disk thus possibly causing it to slip. Also do not use antiseize unless you plan on having one hell of a time trying to get the trans to come out.

Reaction score
well dropped it over the weekend inner disk was hitting the flywheel bolts. they machined the flywheel to deep. thus why it was engaging the whole way out as well.

Reaction score
sent me the correct bolts and a thicker floater plate. put it together but its still out of spec so they are sending me a new pressure plate. I have been driving the truck all weekend and it is engaging the same spot every time but is the whole way out. hopefully the new pressure plate fixes that. I will say there costumer service is great.

Reaction score
Well... just pulled it and now the clutch is melted together .not real happy with valair. Their customer service is awesome but I'm tired of f-ing with it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Reaction score
Amen thinking of finding someone who wants to do a swap I have two zf5 and hopefully another new clutch

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Latest posts

Members online