Dual stock fuel pump question

bigfords

Reaction score
I'm making some plans to put dual stock fuel pumps on my truck. My plan is to tie in the second fuel pump, but not to have it run all the time. I would like to put a switch somewhere concealed in the cab, and only turn it on when I think I will need it (sled pull, drag race, etc.) Two questions so far:

1. Do I have to put one-way check valves in since they are both Bosch pumps?

2. I have a DI RR system, but from the pump to the stock fuel bowl is stock. What is the best way to put a Y in on the pressure side of the 2 pumps (to bring both pumps into the same line). On the suction side, they will both be pulling from the fuel-water separator that I got with my Strictly pre-pump kit.

3. Do the pumps need to be dead nuts parallel? As in, do the have to have the same amount of hose to the filter base, and then the same length hose to where they tie back in together? I wouldn't think so, but just checking.

thanks!

powerlifter405

Reaction score
There are a few threads on this. Use the search feature, I've looked up that exact subject and gotten a lot of threads-returns.

V-Ref

Reaction score
There are a few threads on this. Use the search feature, I've looked up that exact subject and gotten a lot of threads-returns.

:whs:

Two questions so far:

Just two? :slap:

1. Do I have to put one-way check valves in since they are both Bosch pumps?

Yes you should put check valves in no matter the pumps you use. No two pumps will flow EXACTLY the same. Check valves will ensure the flow is one way (from the back of the truck to the front of the truck) through the weaker pump.

2. What is the best way to put a Y in on the pressure side of the 2 pumps (to bring both pumps into the same line). On the suction side, they will both be pulling from the fuel-water separator that I got with my Strictly pre-pump kit.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDAwWDQwMA==/z/5mYAAOxy~dNTH2NG/$_12.JPG

Recommend JIC fittings be used where feasible.

3. Do the pumps need to be dead nuts parallel? As in, do the have to have the same amount of hose to the filter base, and then the same length hose to where they tie back in together?

No and no. Your fuel pressure guage doesn't care if you use 17 pumps or 3 pumps, how they're plumbed....all you're after is to increase the volume of fuel presented to the fuel pressure regulator....it'll do the rest provided you have sufficient return line flow.

bigfords

Reaction score
I read somewhere that the Bosch pumps already have check valves in them, is this true?

Reaction score
doing kind of the same thing...only a fuelab with a stock pump on a switch for backup.. Im using a dual inlet/outlet filter bases before and after the pump..Joe said something about isspro gauge with the waning light to trigger the unused pump to kick on when and if fuel psi drops to the selected pressure you set it at..i kind of like that idea but i think the fuelab can handle anything ill throw at it...i just want something in there for a just in case....i used a bowl delete block form driven diesel to split the feed lines where the fuel bowl used to be.....

Latest posts

Members online