Early 1999 f350 mods reccomendations

riverboy460

Reaction score
Hi everyone. im looking to update my early 1999 f350 i just bought a little over a month ago. It has 73,500 original miles on it super clean lariat CC LB 4x4.

I currently have a S&B intake system, 4 inch Mbrp turbo back exhaust and trans/egt/boost auto meter gauges.

thinking of pulling the trigger on a php hydra. my early 99 Comp code is XLE4.

:fordoval:

riverboy460

Reaction score
my e99

all the mods mentioned were on truck when i bought it. i dont knwo the background of the truck other then the car fax report 2 owner truck. im the 3rd onwer. the dealer told me it was owned by a 60 yr old master chief and he just traded it in for a 2013 3500 ram duelly. not sure y other then i knew it needed a little work.

The trans had the typical rattle. so i made them replace the torque converter for me since it was coming apart. had them install a new windshield for a chip/crack.

it now feels like its loosing power. But i have noticed leakage at my intercooler boot and intake plemum. so i will clean and reinstall when i get a chance. im also goign to change fuel filter no idea when done last dealer changed oil only on the service report.

i am running diesel clean additive in at fill ups as well. only down side is this truck is loud. sounds like a rod nock off idle and goes away as speed increases. but decels its gone just with normal cracle of the 6 and 8 injectors.

i will also be adding a frx fuel kit when i get a chance. i think thats the mod name where you go from the fuel bowl to the plug for no 6 and 8 to help with cracle and injector life.

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
a regulated return fuel system will help the cackle. a long lead #8 can be installed but the fuel system is a much better route.

I have HYDRA's in stock ready to ship if you need one.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
pull the intake off and inspect the compressor wheel.. then get a donaldson/wix/nappa/6637 filter to replace the s&b cone filter...
live life full throttle

Southmike

Reaction score
a new s&b filter is fine no need to do the 6637 shop vac mod. pretty sure it wont fit the airbox.

as stated inspect the turbo for play, and look for leaks on the up pipes at boots etc..
you can look at barders diy d66 type turbo, how ever gains can be had from a ww2 change . the t500 hpop made a difference on my truck as well as the 15°hpop is not an overachiever in the pressure dept.

mechanical wise I would have a look at the hubs, balljoints, clean the ebvp tube, check the back of the fb for signs of leaks at the drain valve.

what are your goals, towing needs as well.

a v10 or 6.0 tranny cooler is always a good idea, as is a coolant filter.

riverboy460

Reaction score
truck goals

the goals I have for this truck are simple. its my daily driver and I use it to tow my 22 ft trophy fishing boat around. I also would like to get a camper or 5th wheel to start family outings. but that's down the road.

I just purchased a 17 pos hydra made by php tunes. from a local vendor here on psa. great guy to deal with. I will purchase from him again.

im looking for good power mods with out breaking the bank. ill do injectors if they ever go bad but I wont change them just to change them. also maybe upgrade to a d66 turbo or 99.5 + turbo set up eventually as well. as needed.

thanks for all the replies.

:ford:

Southmike

Reaction score
number one best mod to an early 99 is replacing the oem factory cup thrower if it has limp dik rubber fingers. I can not express how useless that design is.

put any kind of drink and it will be in the floor mats upon any bump turn or twitch.
the new design has hard plastic fingers and an ashtray in the middle.
I can actually hold a mix of three drinks on that and make a last minute turn with that one.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
a new s&b filter is fine no need to do the 6637 shop vac mod.

*** that! wish i still had the pics of my compressor wheel and intake after every kind of cone filter i tried... aem, afe, s&b, k&n, airaid, amsoil dry, all of them dusted my intake and over half of them did it while traveling across the U.S. for work on paved roads.

live life full throttle

Southmike

Reaction score
use and location def have an impact. ie cross country dusty roads vs east coast i95 has an impact.

but with all of those causing issues I would say then you are either over oiling them or under oiling them, a properly maintained decent filter should fine...obviously may some find exceptions to that. curious do you run a ccv mod? what do you mean by dust in the intake ..I assume white dry cake inside the tube.

now if you don't want to mess around with that then the ford ais is a great full system . or get a good 6637 sized quality Donaldson filter and chuck it at every 50k and replace. (do not use a cheap offbrand 16$ filter.)

I run A pair about the worst filters ever for over 150k without an issue.
would I recommend them to anyone..nope. I did tweak them a bit add better sealsy here and there but not much really.
I check my intake and wheel for visible damage and on and see no ill effects.(about every 10k) and are on the list of things to be replaced but so far they are temporary/permanent.

Latest posts

Members online