EBPV exhaust brake

Jessy7.3

Reaction score
I'm pretty new here, so this is my first post. I really appreciate the community. Hope you guys find this helpful. Im doing and exhaust brake on my fathers 99 7.3 with the ZF6/manual tranny. Depending on how well it works on his truck, I will be making the same mod to my own 2001 7.3 with the 4R100. I have made a basic wiring diagram but I need to make some alterations before I post them on here. I am making this form even though it has been done plenty of times before so that way I can help with the diagram and also pictures and detailed info. Here goes nothin.

About the truck:
EBPV braking system on a 99.5, 7.3, ZF6, extended cab short bed pickup. This truck is almost always used for hauling either a boat, camper, or tractor, almost never is it used for regular driving conditions. No oil usage, or any other noticeable lacking in fluids. The truck has an edge juice with attitude chip. 5in exhaust straight pipe. Cold air intake. 33in tires with a level kit. 180 thousand miles.
About Exhaust brake system:
I will be setting up the system with and auto as well as a manual braking mode. Manual being that you flip a two position switch to the on position, and the exhaust brake activates. The "auto" mode will have separate two position switch that will only begin the exhaust braking activation when the brake pedal becomes pressed.
Tools requested for mod:
Wiring tools such as: wiring pliers, soldering gun/iron, dremel tool. Other helpful tools would be a multi meter and a knife.
Misc items needed:
About 20ft of 16 gauge wire. Solder for your iron. A regular relay (30-87/87a, 85-86 type relay), two- two position switches, 6 connection ends to hook from wires to the switches as well as an additional 5 if the relay you buy does not come with a connector on the bottom of it, some sort of inline fuse of your preferred style.

image.jpg

(I hope that picture works or I'll figure it out tomorrow).

The color of wire on the brake pedal is I green with I think a yellow stripe for the auto setting.
The color of wire on the EBPV that your gonna wanna tap into will be I think brown.
If you run into a difficult spot, use your multimeter to check for safe voltages areas to avoid any screw ups, such as accidentally making your brake lights on all the time so something of that nature. I have not completed this mod yet but I will post a review of how well it works and anything else later on probably the day after tomorrow or so.
Please post any other info that you guys come across or alteration to my diagram that you can think of.

CarportMechanic

Reaction score
Not sure if your aware but if using the EBPV as a brake on an auto you need a way to lock the torque converter or you'll burn up your transmission.

Manual tranny is fine. Had one prior to gutting the EBPV. It worked well but I prefer cooler EGt's over having the brake.

Jessy7.3

Reaction score
Yea I have read many other forms on doing it on auto transmissions. That's why we did it on the manual truck first haha. Thank you though, it would be terrible to throw my transmission overboard. The primary reason I made this thread is to share my wiring diagram.

Latest posts

Members online