Electrical Gremlins??!?!!??!?

RichieRich

Reaction score
Driving me crazy! First off, my radio and windows work some time and other times...not so much. I'm sure it has something to do with the accessory delay relay. That's problem number 1. Problem number 2, is the center pin on the 7 way trailer plug is not hot when I put the truck in reverse. I also have a 7 way plug in the bed for a fifth wheel and that center pin isn't hot either. I'm heading 4 hours to Lake Havasu on Friday and need a radio and without the reverse wire in the plug, I can't back up my boat trailer!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 37

Viking

Reaction score
I have the same radio and window problems. I was going to unbolt the fuse panel to check the wires on the back leading into the relay port, but got discouraged when I looked back there. I will probably bring it in somewhere that wants to tackle the problem. I can't handle the fuse panel haha.

bluedge8

Reaction score
Why can't you back up your boat? are you using the reverse light wire to "disengage" the e brakes? On all of the e brake trailers I have driven, they basically won't work in reverse due to the design of the brakes themselves, then all you would have to do is make sure there is no power going to the trailer when it's in the water and you should be good to go.

RichieRich

Reaction score
Why can't you back up your boat? are you using the reverse light wire to "disengage" the e brakes? On all of the e brake trailers I have driven, they basically won't work in reverse due to the design of the brakes themselves, then all you would have to do is make sure there is no power going to the trailer when it's in the water and you should be good to go.

Yes the reverse actually engages a solinoid that locks out the surge brakes which allows you to back up...I can back up really slowly on flat ground or a decline, but no way on an incline...the boat has disk brakes and they lock up. I looked for a manual lock out, which our last boat had, but this one does not :-(

littleredstroker

Reaction score
Yes the reverse actually engages a solinoid that locks out the surge brakes which allows you to back up...I can back up really slowly on flat ground or a decline, but no way on an incline...the boat has disk brakes and they lock up. I looked for a manual lock out, which our last boat had, but this one does not :-(

Unplug the trailer plug when u go to back up??

sent while looking at a hole in my block

bluedge8

Reaction score
Unplug the trailer plug when u go to back up??

sent while looking at a hole in my block

wont help if it's surge brakes.
follow the wiring to the tie in where both trailer harness' are spliced in, if it was done diy you'll be able to find the problem quickly, if its a t-harness, pull it apart and check the connections, they too go bad.

Jeffreyt

Reaction score
2003 right? Sounds like a VSM issue. Vehicle security module, it handles the delay after the ignition is turned to off so that the windows, radio, etc... Still work until the door is opened.

They are known to cause problems if they get wet.

As far as the brakes, I'd have to dig up the wiring diagram. Just moved so I have no idea where it's at, but I'll take a peak.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online