Elites tow power atmospheric only?

Ipkyss

Reaction score
anyone have any good write ups on removing the turbos? I have been able to get the wastegate on and off with the cab on. The turbos can't be that hard.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
I also think a wastegate is still going to be needed. You're forcing more air into the motor but you still have the same exhaust side on both turbos. Trucks with stock turbos need a wastegate on the bigger tunes, if anything a bigger wheel on the compressor side of the atmospheric will increase back pressure.

You don't need a wastegate on big tunes and stock turbos. You probably don't need one with big tunes and tow powers. I doubt you need one with this upgrade. If you needed one with big tunes and stockers, I would have broken something 75-80 passes ago.

mclean

Reaction score
Chances are I will call tomorrow and order one. Just want to have a chance to see what else I want to order so I can ship it up here all at once

:)

Sent from my Atrix using Tapatalk

Matt

Reaction score
You don't need a wastegate on big tunes and stock turbos. You probably don't need one with big tunes and tow powers. I doubt you need one with this upgrade. If you needed one with big tunes and stockers, I would have broken something 75-80 passes ago.

You also have studs Jeff. Stock head bolts, no wastegate, big tunes and a bigger compressor wheel on the atmospheric turbo, I'm guessing is going to blow a head gasket.

MINK

Reaction score
LOL nice Erik

You also have studs Jeff. Stock head bolts, no wastegate, big tunes and a bigger compressor wheel on the atmospheric turbo, I'm guessing is going to blow a head gasket.

That would be a good guess sense stock turbos can blow gaskets, I guess I dont see your point.

Are you saying stock chargers, big tune, gated with factory bolts will not blow the gaskets?

Matt

Reaction score
Mine hasn't for the past year. Haha. If I were to do this, I would probably do studs and a gate though just to be safe. Could maybe get by without studs, but I would for sure do a gate.

MINK

Reaction score
Mine hasn't for the past year. Haha. If I were to do this, I would probably do studs and a gate though just to be safe. Could maybe get by without studs, but I would for sure do a gate.

guess i'm the oposite, I'd rather have studs than a gate, less likely to fail.

David S.

Reaction score
guess i'm the oposite, I'd rather have studs than a gate, less likely to fail.

I'm in the same boat. Studs and deleated egr cooler with no wastegate is a great setup imo. Throw in an airdog and some ported fuel rails and your ready to roll.

Matt

Reaction score
The reason I did the wastegate and no studs is because when I did it, the transmission was getting built, so it was pretty easy to delete the coolers and throw a gate in. At the time I wasn't really ready to dig into the engine.

Back on topic, so you guys really don't think a wastegate is going to be necessary?

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
The reason I did the wastegate and no studs is because when I did it, the transmission was getting built, so it was pretty easy to delete the coolers and throw a gate in. At the time I wasn't really ready to dig into the engine.

Back on topic, so you guys really don't think a wastegate is going to be necessary?

With studs, no. If you eliminate head gasket failure, your left with the valve train. I don't know of anyone who has had valve train damage other than people spraying nitrous. I think Rudy and Mike Corsilli both have. Rudy's race truck over revved when his transmission let go and he was spraying. Mike over revved trying to manually shift through the gears pulling a sled and spraying nitrous in the DP Challenge.

Matt

Reaction score
So where do you think the added back pressure is going to go? By stuffing more air into the motor with your new 71mm atmospheric turbo, back pressure will rise, and when it hits the stock unmodified high pressure turbo, it will want to go somewhere.

Last edited:

White_monster

Reaction score
Why not just run 5psi less boost and be safe. This turbo will push the same amount of air as the stock one but at lower boost, so there you could keep stock power and drop egts. Now this back pressure paranoia is getting stupid. I actually tried to see how far I could go before noises would be made or new access holes in something forms and it was at about 75psi gauge pressure, that's not including atmospheric pressure. All I got was a loud tick noise and nothing happened. So in all reality the issue with back pressure is being blown out of proportion. Sure it's good to keep the pressure down but the stock springs do a good job. Now I'm not sayi everyone should go out and crank the boost to the moon cause our turbos at 48-50psi of boost are damn nearing of their compressor map and any more boost just heats the air up and we gain nothing. I also did all my testing with tow powers and 60hp nozzles. Anyways just some food for thought. Have fun

Latest posts

Members online