Elites tow power atmospheric only?

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
At 49-50 psi of boost, I'm at 55 psi of back pressure with our 310 tune. This is stock turbos and no gate. The ratio is bad at high RPM and low boost, but back pressure still isn't anywhere close to being scary high. I don't see there being an issue running this setup with no wastegate.

fluid

Reaction score
Just got a quote to have studs done and install atmospheric turbo at same time for 3500.00. That's if I supply elites turbo, they are industrial injection guys and are trying to push the phat shaft. Is that a good price?

Matt

Reaction score
Why not just run 5psi less boost and be safe. This turbo will push the same amount of air as the stock one but at lower boost, so there you could keep stock power and drop egts. Now this back pressure paranoia is getting stupid. I actually tried to see how far I could go before noises would be made or new access holes in something forms and it was at about 75psi gauge pressure, that's not including atmospheric pressure. All I got was a loud tick noise and nothing happened. So in all reality the issue with back pressure is being blown out of proportion. Sure it's good to keep the pressure down but the stock springs do a good job. Now I'm not sayi everyone should go out and crank the boost to the moon cause our turbos at 48-50psi of boost are damn nearing of their compressor map and any more boost just heats the air up and we gain nothing. I also did all my testing with tow powers and 60hp nozzles. Anyways just some food for thought. Have fun

So spend 1300 bucks to watch your boost pressure and have no more power than stock? Tell you what, call up a company that supplies turbos and say, hey I am running a 53mm and a 65mm, no wastegate. My back pressure to boost ratio is already getting high, but I want to say f**k that gate and put a 71mm billet wheel in the 65. See what they suggest. I am in no way saying this is a bad idea or bad set up or anything. I just think spending an extra 1400 bucks would be pretty damn good insurance.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
Ok, I had a blown head gasket and cracked heads when mine went under the knife. I had a issue with puking and it was getting worse. Now, some say it was the egr causing this from flash boiling but no one really knows. I did beat on it with the 310 tune and never ran a smaller one once it came out. Others have used this same combination and never had a problem.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
So spend 1300 bucks to watch your boost pressure and have no more power than stock? Tell you what, call up a company that supplies turbos and say, hey I am running a 53mm and a 65mm, no wastegate. My back pressure to boost ratio is already getting high, but I want to say f**k that gate and put a 71mm billet wheel in the 65. See what they suggest. I am in no way saying this is a bad idea or bad set up or anything. I just think spending an extra 1400 bucks would be pretty damn good insurance.

Nobody said that you can't run a wastegate. If you feel more comfortable running one, run one. It's highly doubtful you need one though. I definitely don't see back pressure being a problem at high boost based on testing I have done. If back pressure is going to be a problem, it will be at lower boost and high RPM. What is a wastegate going to do for you at 20 psi of boost and 60 psi of back pressure if you have it set to start opening at 40-45 psi of boost? All your doing is running a little inefficiently. It's not hurting anything.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
My post was just to state that some trucks have issues with running big tunes without any other mods. Not all have the issues I ran across and many have no issues at all, but not all these trucks react the same to these mods.
Don't worry if you have no idea why I posted this.

Matt

Reaction score
I get what your getting at. The day after I got spartans 310 tune it killed my transmission, but many have run that tune without any issues.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
At 49-50 psi of boost, I'm at 55 psi of back pressure with our 310 tune. This is stock turbos and no gate. The ratio is bad at high RPM and low boost, but back pressure still isn't anywhere close to being scary high. I don't see there being an issue running this setup with no wastegate.

my back pressure with 310 was 60+ peak. no coolers on the truck. mine puked.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
who knows what tune i ran vs what tune you did your logs at. its not really apples to apples. this was before i had studs.. did you test before you had studs?

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
who knows what tune i ran vs what tune you did your logs at. its not really apples to apples. this was before i had studs.. did you test before you had studs?

I have tested before and after studs.

I went roughly 25,000 miles on new gaskets and stock head bolts with no puking. EGR valve was shut off through tuning and that was it. Coolers were still on the truck.

O2ShootTheJ

Reaction score
My wastegate is definitely working on the 345 tune at full boost. I can see 70+ EBP absolute (i think thats the reading) on my DD when i'm tinkering with the wastegate knob

Jhaddox

Reaction score
My wastegate is definitely working on the 345 tune at full boost. I can see 70+ EBP absolute (i think thats the reading) on my DD when i'm tinkering with the wastegate knob

you have to subtract around 14.3 PSI from that number to get your true BP, that doesnt take out the Barometric Pressure

so you're really seeing 55.7+

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
you have to subtract around 14.3 PSI from that number to get your true BP, that doesnt take out the Barometric Pressure

Depends on the altitude. Everyone is going to see different. Higher the elevation, the lower the number. If you are at sea level, it will be around 15.

Dzchey21

Reaction score

But at 50 psi of boost that ratio all of a sudden doesn't look so bad...

Sent from my DROIDX

Dzchey21

Reaction score
With the converter unlocked and full throttle you will see low boost and high back pressure. A gate probably wont fix that scenario at all.

Now if you add a bigger more efficient comp wheel then actually the numbers may get better rather than worse.

Hopefully this set up gets tested soon :D

Sent from my DROIDX

Dzchey21

Reaction score
At part throttle your always going to see a unhappy boost back pressure number. That's the whole point of the vgt. Kick back pressure up to get things rolling. Best test for ratios is a full throttle pull in overdrive and check both at full boost. Anything before that will always show a unhappy relationship between the two.

Sent from my DROIDX

Latest posts

Members online