ESOF 4x4

Rob D

Reaction score
Hey guys,

4x4 won't engage. The dash lights do light up when selecting 4x4 and 4 Low so I believe that rules out a relay. AC does not switch to defrost in 4x4, so I believe that rules out a vacuum leak. I cannot hear the "click/clunk" you normally can hear when 4x4 is engaged. With as little information as that, can all be ruled and the motor on the t-case be the only culprit?

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
Dont rule out the relays untill you check them. I bet one or both are all corroded and not working.

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
Check the hubs, one of mine locked up completely. There easy to take out only 3 bolts. If it feels stuck in there then it's probably rusted and you will have to work it out slowly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob D

Reaction score
So this is embarrassing - but you live and learn, figure I might help the next guy out. I wrote this thread after getting my truck stuck in the mud. I do not do any off-roading with my truck, usually only need the 4x4 when its snowing out.

After some more research I read that if you are already stuck, the ESOF typically will not work and you have to get out of the truck and manually lock the hubs. That is all that happened with me. Easy fix lol. :doh:

Long story short - my words of advice are if you know you will be getting into some terrain with potential to need 4x4 - get out and lock your hubs before hand so you are not scraping away mud when you are already sunk etc.

Snuggyworm

Reaction score
just a little off-topic. u can only engage 4x4 low by shifting to neutral, and turning tat switch on, and then u will still have to set it to drive, and slowly roll it forward to get it to engage. tat slight jerk will let u know u lock into 4wd low. just my 2 cents. lol.

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
Thats deff how not to engage 4 low. In fact it should not engage unless in neutral and the brake pedal is pushed damn near to the floor.
If your getting engagement into 4 low without needing to push the brake pedal something isn't right.

sootie

Reaction score
Thats deff how not to engage 4 low. In fact it should not engage unless in neutral and the brake pedal is pushed damn near to the floor.
If your getting engagement into 4 low without needing to push the brake pedal something isn't right.

as long as the truck is stopped and in neutral it will engage. nothing to do with brakes.

Derkperk

Reaction score
It always seems to me I need to go neutral, switch with the brake applied, reverse, neutral, to get low to lock in.

sent using tapatalk because my iPone died

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
as long as the truck is stopped and in neutral it will engage. nothing to do with brakes.

Hhmm. Thats news to me. Mine deff wont engage into low without applying the brakes and in neutral.
Maybe mine messed up. Lol

Pstrke96

Reaction score
Hhmm. Thats news to me. Mine deff wont engage into low without applying the brakes and in neutral.
Maybe mine messed up. Lol

After reading my manual today it def says depress brake pedal to engage 4 lo
My current issue is no 4x4, no dash indicator light I haven't found any vac leKs and a/c is working properly. Fuses are good. What am I missing? Just had hubs out doing ball joints cleaned them up a lil grease. All I can think is shift motor.

Latest posts

Members online