Excessive Oil Consumption

74novass

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Newish to me 2002 7.3l. 346k on the truck. 4x4 automatic. Runs great. Drove it home from SC to NY with no issues.

Since it has been home, I have done the following:

Oil cooler o-rings
Coolant flush
New Thermostat
Oil Change (Rotella T 15w40)
Glow plugs
Glow Plug Relay
CPS
One new battery - (other was tested and is above spec)

I bought the truck last October. It did not use any significant oil during the drive home. As we were backing into the driveway bringing it home, I blew an oil cooler o-ring and lost quite a bit of oil at that point. I repaired that and left the truck sit over the winter to keep it out of the salt.

I put the first tank of fuel through it this spring and I went through between 7 and 9 QTS! I don't typically check the oil between fill-ups so I didn't catch this sooner. I caught it because the truck quit running on me.

There is no sign of any oil leak on the ground, the fuel bowl is spotless, there isn't a trace of smoke of of the exhaust, and the tailpipe is bone dry. The truck does have some blow by but by no means excessive.

Just yesterday I pulled the down pipe and charge pipes to check for oil there and found them the down pipe to be dry but sooty and the charge pipe to just have traces of oil in them. I suspect the charge pipe oil is coming through the PCV system. I also dried up any oil/fuel in the valley at the same time. There was nothing excessive there.

From the research I have done, I can only suspect injector o-rings. The truck had hard-start issues this winter that was narrowed down to not enough clearance on the poppets in the injectors. I switched to 5W-40 and it has improved the situation a great deal until I can either shim the injector poppets or replace the injectors.

Am I on the right track with my o-ring suspicion? I plan to build a high pressure oil system tester next week and see if that shows me anything. in the meantime, is there anything else I haven't looked at or am missing?

If this was a quart or two over 1000 miles, I would write it off to oil use on an old, worn motor. At 7-9 quarts in 500 miles, there is a serious issue somewhere.

Thanks,
Caleb

ghohouston

Reaction score
Remove the fuel filter, and see if the fuel in the housing is black, like motor oil. If it is, you need injector o rings. You probably need injector o rings regardless, you'd probably notice alot of blue ish smoke if you were burning the oil, and that would be a considerable sized external leak. Any chance you can read icp while driving?

74novass

Reaction score
The fuel bowl is crystal clear fuel in it with no signs of motor oil. The oil is very fresh though and not very black. No drips of any kind under the truck even after a week a sitting in the same spot. I can't imagine I could lose that much oil and not have it covering the underside of the truck. There is also no smoke during start up or while driving. That's what is so confusing to me.

I can certainly read and record the ICP while driving to work tomorrow. I will post my results in the morning. Anything I should be looking for with the ICP?

I drove the truck 75 miles yesterday and burnt between 1/2 and 3/4 of a quart.

Last edited:

CurtisF

Reaction score
If it's using that much oil and there's no drip, smoke, etc.... then it's being burned along with the fuel. That most often means the injector o-rings.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Is your air filter really dirty? These will start sucking air from the crank case througb the ccv when it cant get any more from yhe atmosphere, which means it starts eating oil.

CurtisF

Reaction score
Is your air filter really dirty? These will start sucking air from the crank case througb the ccv when it cant get any more from yhe atmosphere, which means it starts eating oil.

You aren't going to suck 7-9 quarts of oil in 500 miles through a CCV, I don't care how dirty that air filter is..... :slap:

74novass

Reaction score
See attached log from cruising into work this morning. I can adjust the chart to zoom in on things if you would like. It does not look like i logged throttle % though. I am not sure exactly what I am looking for in this one so any insight would be great.

Attachments

• Cruising.jpg
    Cruising.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 66

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
that is a lot of oil obviously but should still have a haze out the tail pipe if its not on the ground or leaking anywhere on the motor then it is being consumed. take oil cap off and flip it over and set it on the fill tube at idle. if it flips off then there is excessive blowby but that is still a lot of oil missing... so im sure orings are needed regardless due to the mileage on them..

and i hate rotella anything. put some chevron dello 15-40 in it and try that...

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

jimdawg185

Reaction score
that is a lot of oil obviously but should still have a haze out the tail pipe if its not on the ground or leaking anywhere on the motor then it is being consumed. take oil cap off and flip it over and set it on the fill tube at idle. if it flips off then there is excessive blowby but that is still a lot of oil missing... so im sure orings are needed regardless due to the mileage on them..

and i hate rotella anything. put some chevron dello 15-40 in it and try that...

live life full throttle

&^(*&*(* Chevron

CurtisF

Reaction score
that is a lot of oil obviously but should still have a haze out the tail pipe if its not on the ground or leaking anywhere on the motor then it is being consumed.
Back years ago I replaced injector O-rings because I started getting oil consumption. I made the mistake of not going back with the Motorcraft O-rings, and within 400 miles all 8 of them failed. The truck would gulp down 5+ quarts of oil in 30-40 miles. Zero.... I mean ZERO, smoke, haze, etc. You would have never known it was burning oil until the engine shut down because there wasn't enough to fire the injectors.

The OP is losing 7-9 quarts over the span of hundreds of miles. He isn't going to see any smoke.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to me. I'd burn a gallon every 150 miles. No leaks, no smoke, truck ran fine and started fine. Pulled injectors and replaced the o-rings. No change. Full Force told me in the most extreme rare cases that the injectors could pass oil into the fuel going into the nozzle internally. So I pulled the injectors and replaced them and the oil consumption went away. Just food for thought.
Clean fuel in the bowl, clean oil, and clean coolant. It was simply being injected into the cylinder and burned.

74novass

Reaction score
Back years ago I replaced injector O-rings because I started getting oil consumption. I made the mistake of not going back with the Motorcraft O-rings, and within 400 miles all 8 of them failed. The truck would gulp down 5+ quarts of oil in 30-40 miles. Zero.... I mean ZERO, smoke, haze, etc. You would have never known it was burning oil until the engine shut down because there wasn't enough to fire the injectors.

The OP is losing 7-9 quarts over the span of hundreds of miles. He isn't going to see any smoke.

Curtis,

This is great feedback. I appreciate you sharing your real world feedback. I am not 100% sure but I am starting to think the reason that you don't see smoke is that the oil is atomized in the injectors just like the fuel and therefore burns pretty clean. When most vehicles burn oil from other sources, it is not atomized and burns incompletely leading to smoke out the exhaust.

I am planning on replacing the injectors here in the near future but as an interesting side note, I drove the truck 135 miles this week and it barely burned any oil. I am talking less than 1/2 quart if I had to guess.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score

holy ballz! thats crazy! i was burning about 2qt when i did my first round of orings and i could see it haze.. but then again i might have had low compression so i wasn't getting a good burn.. who knows... i have seen/heard of crazier things i guess...

live life full throttle

jimdawg185

Reaction score
come again? cant understand you with a mouth full of chit

id say go with le8800 but its not readily available for anyone to just swing in to a walmart and grab it.

live life full throttle

&$)&&))) Walmart

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.