Extended crank 6.0- not temp related

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
I am sure one of you out there has been across this, figure it's worth a shot.

2005 6.0

recently we did a complete top end on it

-New Ford Injectors
-New casting heads (new valve stem seals, reground valves ect)
-ARP Head Studs
-EGR Delete
-Oil Cooler
-Coolant filter
-Gearhead tuning
-OEM Head Gaskets
-All new o-rings/gaskets on the entire top end
-Glow Plugs
-New OEM IPR Valve
-New OEM ICP Sensor
-58v FICM with PHP economy tune
-15w-40 with Revx
-New Fuel Filters
-Blue spring with 6.4 banjos

Truck came in because the customer had blown 3 sets of black onyx gaskets by doing the work in his garage. He decided to pay someone to do it so he had a warranty.

It is back together now with well over 200 miles on it. Consistently take 2-3 seconds of cranking before it fires. Occasionally it will "roll" on startup and sometimes it cranks long and then fires right off. It ALWAYS has a faint blue smoke at idle, much more noticeable when its first started. Very hard to see when its been running awhile.
The truck idles like glass, has extremely good street manners, and is getting good mileage.
We have swapped FICM out for a non tuned 58v with no change.
PCM Tuning was returned to stock with no change

We are all sort of at a loss. If you were not aware of the starting issue this would be one of the better running 6.0's we have had through our shop... very smooth truck.

I have my thoughts where to go from here, but none of them are "simple". Seeing if anyone has a simple thing to try.

Thanks in advance for any direction pointing! :grouphug:

bluedevilslax

Reaction score
Derek you all might have done this already but does it have the new updated stand pipes which should have come with the new gaskets as well as the updated dummy plugs in the oil rail? If yes then I would check the o-rings inside the injectors where the rail meets them. I have seen a small knick in the injector o-rings cause a hard start problem. And I am going to assume that ICP is fine during cranking.

webb06

Reaction score
Pretty sure there's a tsb about a 3-5 second crank cycle being "normal" but if it didn't leave your shop after the work doing it then obviously it's not right.

How quick does it build icp?

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Does it always "roll" on start up hot or cold?
No it is very intermittent. More often it will just fire right off, but occasionally it "rolls".

Monitoring ICP on an IDS tool shows it to build very normally.
Pretty sure there's a tsb about a 3-5 second crank cycle being "normal" but if it didn't leave your shop after the work doing it then obviously it's not right.

How quick does it build icp?

It did leave our shop doing this, he wanted it back as quickly as he could so he decided to drive it for a few days to see if it cleared.

I wouldn't have a problem with the bit of an extended crank if the blue smoke wasn't present. It is extremely light blue and fairly faint, but it is still there.

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
Idk chit really but i did have an occasional long crank time and the rolling or lazy start thing once in a while. More occasionally it would smoke a puff right at start up
Went from regular rotella 15w40 to t6 with hot shot secret and that fixed it, im sure youve thought of that but maybe it is that simple.

Idiesel

Reaction score
Had one doing this. What kind of oil filter are you running? If I missed it in your first post I apologize.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Idk chit really but i did have an occasional long crank time and the rolling or lazy start thing once in a while. More occasionally it would smoke a puff right at start up
Went from regular rotella 15w40 to t6 with hot shot secret and that fixed it, im sure youve thought of that but maybe it is that simple.
I suppose the possibility of going froma standard to a synthetic may change this, but the fact that no other truck we have done has acted like this with identical oils/setups is odd.
Had one doing this. What kind of oil filter are you running? If I missed it in your first post I apologize.
Racor Filters....Motorcraft equivalents

Idiesel

Reaction score
Okay I figured as much. Had one with a wix and would only be lazy on occasion and what was weird is it would fire up first crank then shut it off and then be hard after that. Parameters all showed normal so I tried the oil filter before anything and ended up fixing it

ghohouston

Reaction score
Not doubting you, but were the stand pipes and dummy plugs updated to the new style? What about the hpop o rings? One could be slightly knicked or something along those lines?

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Not doubting you, but were the stand pipes and dummy plugs updated to the new style? What about the hpop o rings? One could be slightly knicked or something along those lines?

Yes they were updated and when injectors were pulled we thoroughly inspected them all, everything looked great. There was 1 suspect oring on one of the injectors, but we wont know if that fixes it until we get them back and re-oring them.

Latest posts