F-250 to F-550

Oconco68

Reaction score
Hey everybody,
I have a 2008 F-250 KR, I really want to dust the KR, because 1st, it’s a SB, 2nd it’s an Automatic and 3rd I just don’t like the KR options and color scheme. I was searching for a 2008-10 F-250 or F-350 CCLB ZF6 truck. I accidentally found a very nice F-550 ZF6 motor out but supplied and removal was done in a good professional manner, but I have a very nice engine that my KR will donate. It has 110,000 on body. It does have the 4.30 gears, and this would be a daily driver so I do not really need the 550 suspension, but I would have fork out for 3.73’s, that’s not an issue, know what it will cost. Bigger truck, but for a very good price.

Other than 10 lug, 19.5 wheels, what would some of the disadvantages be getting a 550 over a 350?

All I really know about any differences is the differentials, and wheel size.

Thank you for your knowledge and opinions.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
The F-550 is a cab and chassis. The distance between the frame rails is narrower than a standard pickup.

Plus they have a single turbo detuned 6.4. Not a problem if you use your engine and your computer. You would need to re-flash the PCM to work with the manual.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
The F-550 is a cab and chassis. The distance between the frame rails is narrower than a standard pickup.

Plus they have a single turbo detuned 6.4. Not a problem if you use your engine and your computer. You would need to re-flash the PCM to work with the manual.

They’re still compounds on the 550s…. Don’t think they’re detuned either. Worked on tons of forest service trucks, have yet to see a single turbo one….

The bed would be an issue, either flat bed or service bed would be easiest, putting a normal pickup bed on it would be pretty difficult probably

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
They’re still compounds on the 550s…. Don’t think they’re detuned either. Worked on tons of forest service trucks, have yet to see a single turbo one….

The bed would be an issue, either flat bed or service bed would be easiest, putting a normal pickup bed on it would be pretty difficult probably

Thanks for clearing that up. I wonder where I got the single turbo idea from?

Oconco68

Reaction score
I guess it depends what your plans for a body are
It will be a daily driver. It has a nice flatbed on it. I do moderate towing. Only heavy towing is a 22,000lbs boat/trailer on 6 hour drive twice a year. Just a personal truck. I know it’s more suspension than I need, just wandering about any other additional expenses besides the tires in upkeep really. I would suppose the 6.4 platform is the same from 250, 350, 450, 550’s.

Oconco68

Reaction score

Ok thanks, did not know they do not us the compounds. Thanks.

I‘m cool with the flatbed, if I get it I would get a nice one with storage boxes under it.

thanks

Oconco68

Reaction score
ok So they it is not a single turbo then?

It has a flatbed, I’m know I cannot use a regular bed. It comes with a nice flatbed.

so the 6.4 platform is the same I suppose for 250, 350, 450, 550? I do not see anything special so far in the service manuals.

my main concern is if the tires are basically the only extra expense over a like a 350.

thanks.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up. I wonder where I got the single turbo idea from?

You may be thinking the 11-14 6.7, where the chassis cabs didn’t have the dual boost turbo or whatever ford called it, just a standard vgt. They were detuned from the pickups as well.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
ok So they it is not a single turbo then?

It has a flatbed, I’m know I cannot use a regular bed. It comes with a nice flatbed.

so the 6.4 platform is the same I suppose for 250, 350, 450, 550? I do not see anything special so far in the service manuals.

my main concern is if the tires are basically the only extra expense over a like a 350.

thanks.

6.4 is a 6.4.

The 550 rear ends are huge, it’s gonna be more expensive to swap gears like you were saying over a 250/350. I’m not 100% sure if you’ll be able to find 3.73s for the big Dana. The 550s run the s130

Oconco68

Reaction score
6.4 is a 6.4.

The 550 rear ends are huge, it’s gonna be more expensive to swap gears like you were saying over a 250/350. I’m not 100% sure if you’ll be able to find 3.73s for the big Dana. The 550s run the s130

I will have to verify, the owner said it had the S110 differentials. I have found 3.73 for that model.
Thank you for the info.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I will have to verify, the owner said it had the S110 differentials. I have found 3.73 for that model.
Thank you for the info.

S110s were in the 450s, I believe the 550s got the 130s. Same basic thing, just bigger. And a massive bitch to work on. Think of a 9 inch on steroids. The third member weighs 200ish pounds…. And make sure you’ve got some ass behind you, pinion nut torques to something like 450-600 lb/ft. Even with a 3/4 in torque wrench it’s a massive pain. We’ve bent the hell out of jack handles and stuff torquing them before.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
You may be thinking the 11-14 6.7, where the chassis cabs didn’t have the dual boost turbo or whatever ford called it, just a standard vgt. They were detuned from the pickups as well.

That could very well be! Learn something new everyday they say. Well, I just did!

Oconco68

Reaction score
S110s were in the 450s, I believe the 550s got the 130s. Same basic thing, just bigger. And a massive bitch to work on. Think of a 9 inch on steroids. The third member weighs 200ish pounds…. And make sure you’ve got some ass behind you, pinion nut torques to something like 450-600 lb/ft. Even with a 3/4 in torque wrench it’s a massive pain. We’ve bent the hell out of jack handles and stuff torquing them before.

Well looking more into the tires, the 225’s tires are on this truck. Found that 245’s are also another option for this truck. These are smaller diameter tires than what I am running on my F-250 that has 275/65r20’s, but 265’s (if they will fit) are the same diameter. I‘m thinking if these tires can fit and taking in the extra weight of the 550, I might not be disappointed to much keeping the 4.30 gears. Will have to see. I am going to see the truck in person in October, it‘s in another state. I think if it is in the condition I am searching for, that I think I’ll do the deal. I think it would be a neat truck to have.
All this 6.4 crap got started over a mint condition KR that had low miles garage kept, but none running. The family knew nothing mechanically, the father passed away and the truck broke on the son and it sat in a garage for 2 years broke. They were told it needed a new engine, and was quoted $16,000. The family feud started and I was offered the truck for $500 to get it out of their lives. Brought a trailer, and 2 batteries. It was out of fuel. Now I did not know that. Drove it for a year and decided to keep it. I did decide to put $9,000 into the motor, but I hate automatics, the electronics are old now and just too much BS sometimes with them. Nothing but a reverse light switch on a manual. So now I’m here.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.