Fan cfm vs no fan cfm

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Say you're cruising down the highway doing 70, would an engine fan make any difference with cfm across the radiator/intercooler? I'll explain further.....

Doing 70mph, you basically have an unlimited amount of air going/rammed into the grille. While doing 70, if the engine fan locks up (either thermal fan clutch or E-fan clutch) would the rad/IC see increase of cfm compared to driving? Would rpm of the fan override the ram air effect of driving?

Billy T.
[email protected]

dmd

Reaction score
I always wondered that too, not sure it really makes a difference. The fan comes on
when I tow in the summer, come on yesterday when I was going 72... I don't recall
a EGT difference, but it does rob some HP. I can see it below 45 or so being good.

rusty1161

Reaction score
Say you're cruising down the highway doing 70, would an engine fan make any difference with cfm across the radiator/intercooler? I'll explain further.....

Doing 70mph, you basically have an unlimited amount of air going/rammed into the grille. While doing 70, if the engine fan locks up (either thermal fan clutch or E-fan clutch) would the rad/IC see increase of cfm compared to driving? Would rpm of the fan override the ram air effect of driving?

Billy T.
[email protected]

I would say the fan pulls more air. I drove back from the Sierras today and on one of the hills in 95-100 degree temps, doing 70 mph in OD and 900-1000 degree EGT's. My water temp gauge started in the middle of the "O", climbed to the middle of the "M" and when the fan clutch locked the gauge went back down to the middle of the "O".

Rusty

Latest posts