Fan clutch

Dirtclod

Reaction score
First off I want to say I've never had a problem with temps on this engine or the one I replaced at first of the year. When I made the cross country pull the temp gauge rested in the same spot the whole time after it warmed up which is bout a quarter of the way. Tranny temp always stayed between 160-190. Even those long hills through Nevada held down to the mat for 15-20 min at 2600rpm at 70 mph temps were fine. I did stop after one of those pulls at the edge of evening and degas bottle had a small crack in it on top but fixed it with some epoxy.
Here's my lil issue: after I got out here to the Bay Area I noticed a squealing sound up front and determined it is the Fan Clutch. I replaced it a year and half ago cause it got pretty rough. It was starting to get a lot louder until yesterday and it's stopped the squealing. I wonder if it was locked up and unlocked itself. I had actually called and had one waiting on me at autozone cause it's under warranty. I was wondering back then could it be an issue with the water pump,but the fan clutch replacement fixed the noise and no issues except that main drive pull-up seems a lil out of balance. Has anyone had issues with fan clutches,and that pulley being out of whack?

Arisley

Reaction score
Those pulleys do get old and weak. Not to bad of a price. Fan clutches usually last a long time. I bet that truck is a lot of fun to drive around in the Bay Area traffic.

Squealing was probably from a weak tensioner, when the fan clutch engages, the belt was slipping a little.

Last edited:

Dirtclod

Reaction score
I replaced the tensioner and idler pulley along with belt the last time also power steering pump cause it had some slip to it. There was no change to the squalling till I changed the fan clutch. Now since you've mentioned the bad pulley,I suppose it could be causing all this to go bad. You can see the the belt slide back and forth. I'll have to check for good mechanics in San Fran Bay Area and get that fixed.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
I still haven't changed anything out but I have saturated the belt in tire gel. I got a lil bit of antifreeze on it when the degas bottle sprung a leak in the top. I plugged it with some epoxy I had which has stopped this leak for the most part. I've read where antifreeze will make it squall. The tire gel has fixed it but a new degas bottle and crank shaft pulley is a future fix. Fan clutch seems to be fine. I can spin it fairly easy so I know it's not locked up.

Latest posts

Members online