First dead alternator now tranny from hell??

rv8flyboy

Reaction score
last Friday the alternator went out in my truck, a 2004 F250 6.0 with 200K miles, when my son was driving it. Battery light came on, pulled over, but couldn't see anything wrong other than the battery voltage had dropped to 11 or so volt.

He drove it a little further but when the voltage dropped to 10 he finally parked it along the interstate. As he was only about 15 miles from home and hauling his motorbike, he yanked the batteries out of the truck, put them in his marine backpack and drove the bike home with the batteries thinking he could recharge at his mom's place and drive them back. Marines... i tell ya ... lol

We needed to get the truck home, so we installed two fresh new batteries (we could not get an alternator for the truck at 11pm).
Started truck and drove home, all was looking good till we were less than a mile from home, suddenly pulling away from a traffic light the tranny freewheeled somewhere in 3 or 4 gear. Haul light blinked. Battery voltage was still 12.9 volt.

pulled the code, P0761, C solenoid stuck OFF. Hmmm...

did some searching and found a few posts on the relearn cycle. the alternator was replaced before we tried the retraining. so new alternator and new batteries

yesterday we disconnected the batteries, switched on the lights and let it sit for a few hours. then we did the relearn procedures, shifting several times between park and neutral and Drive, in accordance with the procedures in the manual, and tried the slow medium and fast acceleration.

tranny first was a bit harsh at first, but seemed to smooth out and we drove for about 7 or 8 miles, did slow accels and medium accels seemed to be OK, then on a fast accel suddenly the tranny would not shift out of 2nd gear, Haul light blinked and now we have a P0772, solenoid E stuck ON and P2704 reverse / low gear on or off detected.

today we repeated the learn process, just to be sure. On this test drive, it takes a bit before the truck starts rolling in D and when it does it does with a slam, same in reverse, count to 5 and a bone jarring move. when going from 1st into 2nd, the truck feels like the brakes are slammed on for a second or so before it continues on. Haul lite blinks and P0772 and P2704

i looked around but did not see anywhere a relation between driving with 10-11v battery and a tranny blowing up??

Before this weekend and the alternator problem, i had zero problems with this truck. The date code on the tranny says april 2004 so is probably original, last filter change on the tranny is unknown, i have had it for about 20K miles.

I have a new solenoid and can swap it but not sure if I am chasing ghosts leftover from draining the battery/clearing the memory, or if i have a genuine tranny failure going on....

What say ye, oh forum of wisdom????

Thanks

Gert

Lipka101

Reaction score
Drain fluid and pull the pan. See what's going on in there? If it doesn't look too bad put that new solenoid in.... a stuck solenoid is usually from clutch material or some small particle blocking the solenoid. If it's an electrical problem it probably not the solenoid but something else.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online